CERULEAN warbler, Aug. 1

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      Let the fall warbler parade begin! This morning I had a female
      Hooded Warbler in the tree behind the birdbath at the edge of
      the ravine. This afternoon I had a "first fall male"
      (Dunn & Garrett Warbler guide) CERULEAN warbler in the same tree,
      coming to the mister. Yes, I know we have daily rain. But the birds
      and I like the mister-baths in the afternoon when it's sunny
      (and during lunch, when I can watch them).

      I also usually have 3 Rubythroats around.
      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002

        Drove the loop at Southeast Farm (Tram Rd STF) early this afternoon. Since
        it was so steenkin' hot, we didn't really stop anywhere, but just made a
        "dry run" to prepare for future, earlier runs - but we still saw some good
        birds. Also had a few sandpipers at the sewage ponds. No Scissor-tailed
        Flycather, though.

        Birds seen at SE Farm:
        Double-crested Cormorant (13+)
        Snowy Egret (3)
        Cattle Egret (FAR too many to count!)
        YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (1)
        Wood Stork (5)
        Black Vulture (1-2)
        Turkey Vulture (5+)
        Swallow-tailed Kite (3)
        Mississippi Kite (25+)
        Red-shouldered Hawk (heard only)
        SPOTTED SANDPIPER (3)
        WESTERN SANDPIPER (1)
        "Peep" sp. (1)
        Rock Dove (9)
        Eurasian Collared-Dove (2)
        Mourning Dove (17+)
        Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)
        Eastern Kingbird (3)
        LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (1)
        Blue Jay (heard only)
        American Crow (2)
        Northern Mockingbird (2)
        Northern Cardinal (2 males)
        Blue Grosbeak (2 female/juvenile)
        EASTERN MEADOWLARK (2)
        Common Grackle (5)
        Brown-headed Cowbird (30+)
        Orchard Oriole (3 female/juvenile)

        Afterwards, we drove though Southwood. The highlight was a HUGE flock of
        CATTLE EGRETS at a pond on Southwood Plantation Road (ps Kingfisher Pond is
        still all dried up!).

        Birds seen in Southwood:
        Double-crested Cormorant (1)
        Great Blue Heron (1)
        Snowy Egret (62+)
        Great Egret (2)
        Little Blue Heron (3+)
        Cattle Egret (211+)
        White Ibis (25+)
        Wood Stork (1)
        Mississippi Kite (1)
        Killdeer (2)
        Mourning Dove (1)
        LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (1)
        Northern Mockingbird (3)
        Northern Cardinal (1)

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002

          Just a few minutes ago, as we were returning from the store, a LOUISIANA
          WATERTHRUSH flew out of the creek 'valley' just down the road from our place
          and tail-bobbed its way along the roadside ditch. Lifer #267, Year Bird
          #235. :-)

          -S.P.McCool
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
            [cc: Gail Menk]

            This evening we visited Bull Headley Road Landing on Lake Iamonia, as well
            as Southwood. Highlights:

            Lake Iamonia - Bull Headley Landing
            Great Egret (2-3)
            Snowy Egret (1)
            Wood Stork (2)
            Common Moorhen (5) [2 ad. 5 juv.]
            Barred Owl (1) [heard only]
            Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1, female/juv)
            [my first for Leon; #160]
            Eastern Kingbird (1) [heard only]
            GRAY CATBIRD (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Wren (1) [heard only]
            Northern Cardinal (2+) [at least 1 juv male]
            Blue Grosbeak (1) [singing, heard only]

            Southwood:
            Great Blue Heron (2)
            Great Egret (18)
            Snowy Egret (49)
            Little Blue Heron (1) [juvenile]
            Cattle Egret (86)
            Wood Stork (19)
            Broad-winged Hawk (1) [molting]
            NORTHERN BOBWHITE (1) [heard only]
            RAIL SP. (1)
            Eurasian Collared-Dove (17)
            Mourning Dove (28)
            Chimney Swift (1)
            Red-headed Woodpecker (1)
            Eastern Kingbird (3)
            LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (3)
            Blue Jay (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Chickadee (2-3) [heard only]
            Tufted Titmouse (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Wren (3-4) [heard only]
            Northern Mockingbird (6)
            Brown Thrasher (1)
            wood-warbler sp. (1)
            Eastern Towhee (8) [1 male seen, others h.o.]
            Blue Grosbeak (6) [1 juv m, 1 fm, 4 h.o.]
            Brown-headed Cowbird (30)