CERULEAN warbler, Aug. 1

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      Let the fall warbler parade begin! This morning I had a female
      Hooded Warbler in the tree behind the birdbath at the edge of
      the ravine. This afternoon I had a "first fall male"
      (Dunn & Garrett Warbler guide) CERULEAN warbler in the same tree,
      coming to the mister. Yes, I know we have daily rain. But the birds
      and I like the mister-baths in the afternoon when it's sunny
      (and during lunch, when I can watch them).

      I also usually have 3 Rubythroats around.
      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi all,

        Drove the loop at Southeast Farm (Tram Rd STF) early this afternoon. Since
        it was so steenkin' hot, we didn't really stop anywhere, but just made a
        "dry run" to prepare for future, earlier runs - but we still saw some good
        birds. Also had a few sandpipers at the sewage ponds. No Scissor-tailed
        Flycather, though.

        Birds seen at SE Farm:
        Double-crested Cormorant (13+)
        Snowy Egret (3)
        Cattle Egret (FAR too many to count!)
        YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (1)
        Wood Stork (5)
        Black Vulture (1-2)
        Turkey Vulture (5+)
        Swallow-tailed Kite (3)
        Mississippi Kite (25+)
        Red-shouldered Hawk (heard only)
        SPOTTED SANDPIPER (3)
        WESTERN SANDPIPER (1)
        "Peep" sp. (1)
        Rock Dove (9)
        Eurasian Collared-Dove (2)
        Mourning Dove (17+)
        Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)
        Eastern Kingbird (3)
        LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (1)
        Blue Jay (heard only)
        American Crow (2)
        Northern Mockingbird (2)
        Northern Cardinal (2 males)
        Blue Grosbeak (2 female/juvenile)
        EASTERN MEADOWLARK (2)
        Common Grackle (5)
        Brown-headed Cowbird (30+)
        Orchard Oriole (3 female/juvenile)

        Afterwards, we drove though Southwood. The highlight was a HUGE flock of
        CATTLE EGRETS at a pond on Southwood Plantation Road (ps Kingfisher Pond is
        still all dried up!).

        Birds seen in Southwood:
        Double-crested Cormorant (1)
        Great Blue Heron (1)
        Snowy Egret (62+)
        Great Egret (2)
        Little Blue Heron (3+)
        Cattle Egret (211+)
        White Ibis (25+)
        Wood Stork (1)
        Mississippi Kite (1)
        Killdeer (2)
        Mourning Dove (1)
        LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (1)
        Northern Mockingbird (3)
        Northern Cardinal (1)

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          Hi all,

          Just a few minutes ago, as we were returning from the store, a LOUISIANA
          WATERTHRUSH flew out of the creek 'valley' just down the road from our place
          and tail-bobbed its way along the roadside ditch. Lifer #267, Year Bird
          #235. :-)

          -S.P.McCool
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
            [cc: Gail Menk]

            This evening we visited Bull Headley Road Landing on Lake Iamonia, as well
            as Southwood. Highlights:

            Lake Iamonia - Bull Headley Landing
            Great Egret (2-3)
            Snowy Egret (1)
            Wood Stork (2)
            Common Moorhen (5) [2 ad. 5 juv.]
            Barred Owl (1) [heard only]
            Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1, female/juv)
            [my first for Leon; #160]
            Eastern Kingbird (1) [heard only]
            GRAY CATBIRD (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Wren (1) [heard only]
            Northern Cardinal (2+) [at least 1 juv male]
            Blue Grosbeak (1) [singing, heard only]

            Southwood:
            Great Blue Heron (2)
            Great Egret (18)
            Snowy Egret (49)
            Little Blue Heron (1) [juvenile]
            Cattle Egret (86)
            Wood Stork (19)
            Broad-winged Hawk (1) [molting]
            NORTHERN BOBWHITE (1) [heard only]
            RAIL SP. (1)
            Eurasian Collared-Dove (17)
            Mourning Dove (28)
            Chimney Swift (1)
            Red-headed Woodpecker (1)
            Eastern Kingbird (3)
            LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (3)
            Blue Jay (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Chickadee (2-3) [heard only]
            Tufted Titmouse (1) [heard only]
            Carolina Wren (3-4) [heard only]
            Northern Mockingbird (6)
            Brown Thrasher (1)
            wood-warbler sp. (1)
            Eastern Towhee (8) [1 male seen, others h.o.]
            Blue Grosbeak (6) [1 juv m, 1 fm, 4 h.o.]
            Brown-headed Cowbird (30)