St. Marks Wednesday afternoon

  • Edwwjr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 6:27 PM
      I chased the buff-breasted sandpipers late this afternoon at St. Marks.
      Instead of turning left at the "t" I turned right and found a flock of
      10 in the drying pool around the bend in the dike. As Andy had
      mentioned they were nervous and repeatedly flew from the grass on the
      left side of the open area to the grass on the right side and back
      again. Other birders said they had seen them in the grassy area of
      Mounds 3 that Andy had reported.

      I did not look for the Hudsonian or phalarope but did make a quick run
      down to the lighthouse. There were oystercatchers on the flats and a
      single black skimmer was working the remaining water on the west side.

      Tonight may be a major departure for eastern kingbirds. There were 19
      eastern kingbirds sitting in the trees/bushes on the east side of the
      road just north of the double dikes. Some were flycatching but most
      seemed to be resting. The only other time I have seen such a large
      congregation was during spring migration at Fort Morgan, Alabama when
      they were coming in off the water.

      Thanks Andy and Julie for getting the reports out so quickly. It gave
      me something to look forward to all day.

      Ed Woodruff