Re: [nflbirds] limpkins - tallahassee area

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2011
      Good morning Ray,

      Ford's Arm, a drainage on the southeast shore of Lake Jackson may be a good bet to find Limpkins locally.  While kayaking the arm in late November last year, we observed five birds.  And while collecting blackberries at the Rhoden Cove Road landing adjacent to the Arm a few months back, we heard one in the shore vegetation and observed a second Limpkin on emergent vegetation out in the Arm.

      If your not able to paddle the Arm, walk the trail along the water's edge on the left side of the Rhoden Cove boat ramp early in the morning or during the late afternoon or early evening listening for the birds. Look closely in the woody tangles and the tall marsh vegetation for perched birds on the north side of the Arm adjacent to the trail.

      Good luck !

      Harry Hooper
      Tallahassee, Florida