Northern Gannet

  • Daniel Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
      I went for a swim last night at Tyndall AFB near Mexico Beach (Bay Co, FL).  I was watching sanderlings on the beach, and when I turned around to look out over the Gulf, I had an immature northern gannet 6 feet behind me (it was ~30 ft off of the beach, and I have no idea whether it flew or swam in to me).  When I noticed it, it simulateously noticed me and slowly moved away.

      Dan Greene
      Bay Co, FL

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
        Just a reminder that the best time to find boobies is late summer, and some species/plumages look VERY much like some gannet morphs. Boobies are much smaller, though, but your field guide can aid in separating them.

        Gannets are winter residents, and they are among our latest arrivals in fall, so any gannets you are seeing have oversummered here and may not be healthy.

        Good birding,

        Jim
        Sydney, Aust.