State Park hearings - impt

  • Jim Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
      Dear All:

      I received this from a bird-friendly person who lives in Pensacola.

      Jim
      Anchorage

      This link shows all public hearings on schedule (at this point) for changes to Florida State Parks plans. Of specific interest to those in the Panhandle are the Wakulla Springs, Fannin Springs and deLeon Springs parks. It is my understanding that the Honeymoon Island hearing has great coverage, but there is much less for the Panhandle parks. Here's the link:
      http://sharepoint.dep.state.fl.us/PublicNotices/default.aspx

      If any of you to whom I am sending this email are unaware of our state parks' impending peril, be aware that Gov. Rick Scott has decreed that parks should earn money, and as such, he has charged DEP with developing changes to the master plans of the parks to include campgrounds operated by concessionaires. At Wakulla Springs, a horse campground is planned as well. As far as I know, there have been no studies to determine a carrying capacity for these parks that will not harm, negatively impact, and/or destroy habitat at these parks. In the ru$h to add funds to the coffers, are we to sacrifice the natural environments of our parks that we Florida citizens own?

    • parulablue@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
        More details/background on the issue can also be found here:
        http://fl.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=13861.0&printer_friendly=1

        Julie Wraithmell