FW: Emailing: CSC_0898 (2)

  • Cavanagh, Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Spring Sightings from Big Bend

      Ross's Gull (1) Point View Holding Pond in NW Tallahassee,Leon Co off
      Perkin's Rd

      2 miles west of L. Jackson. Date 3/5/11. Bob
      Henderson

      I have a good image I can e-mail if you wish.
      (stubby bill, small size).

      Black Scoter (1) (immature) Alligator Point, within 50 yards of shore
      opposite old KOA

      camp-ground. Minimal wind. 3:00 PM

      Date May 29, 2011. Dark cap, light face,cheeks.
      Thin dark bill

      meets steep forhead at an angle. Underparts
      light. Head not seen

      when exercising wings and no light wing
      patches. I will crop an image

      and send it for documentation. Though they
      uncommonly linger into

      summer (Stevenson and Anderson) there are few
      late May reports.

      Glaucous Gull (1) Second cycle, all white with pink and black bill and pink
      legs. Image

      attached. Lanark Village (Lanark on the sea Boat
      Club). Nearby Fish Crow

      for size comparison. Standing at end of dock.
      Date: 4/28/11.

      Gray-cheeked Thrush (4) St George Island Youth Camp. Date 4/30/11. Fran
      Rutkovsky.

      A group of 4 flew in around noon. Gray cheek
      bordered below by a white

      crescent and no buff. In spite of Sibley these are
      my favorite field marks.

      Chestnut-sided Warbler (1 male, dark lores). St George Island Youth Camp. I
      will send a

      cropped picture because the date is unusual
      according to Stevenson and

      Anderson. Date 5/15/11. Other warblers present
      included Magnolia (4)

      Black-throared Green (2), Blackpoll, male,
      Redstart (6) and a nicely

      plumaged female Bay-breasted (colorful bay
      sides, buffy collar, streaked

      green crown and back.

      Jim Cavanagh

      3950 Bellac Rd Tallahassee, 32303