White-faced Ibis Lake Killarney

  • Edwwjr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      At 11:15 there was a single white-faced ibis at near the pier at the west
      end of Lake Killarney, Tallahassee. It is in the company of 2 white ibis.

      Ed Woodruff

    • Lydia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
        The White-faced Ibis that have been in the vicinity of Lake Jackson are still here, however, the Canopy Oaks Elementary Pond has dried up and they've moved to ponds that are not accessible to the public. I recall talking with Ron Christen about the local WFI and he told me "it's like the White-faced Ibis at St Marks (NWR), the question is not whether they are there, it's do they ever leave". When I saw them over and over this winter and into the spring, I wondered if they were expanding their range into Leon County or if there are a lot more birders out there, my first guess is that both are true.

        I saw Jim Cavannah's post about Gray-checked Thrush (to paraphrase) "being late" this year and I've had very similar results. Jim is one of the few people that I turn to when I have local birding questions, working outside every day with a pair of Swarovski binocs on my chest and birding my days off to helps me figure out some things for myself.

        I had the Kentucky Warbler off of Plank Rd answer my tape this spring, but it was definitely not as vocal as I expected. I have a couple of places that I run across them "locally" but it's either sporadic during migration of a couple of specific places on private land.

        I've ran across lots of nesting shorebirds this spring (especially Brown Pelicans) including Wilson's Plover and I sure hope that it's something good (post spill etc.) as opposed to a different set of random encounters for me this year. Three White Pelicans were hanging around with the Brown Pelicans, I guess they've indefinitely delayed their journey to ~Saskatchewan~ Overall, spring migration was average to slightly slow for me this year, with a few good birds including the Warbling Vireo and White-faced Ibis etc.

        Yellow-breasted Chat are still very easy to find along Orchard Pond Road again this year, just in case anyone needs them for their personal month, June Challenge, year, day, or whatever personal lists etc. The black willow depression on the north side of the road was bush-hogged this year but there are still at least two pair of chat in residence there. I don't use my tape too much there now but one of the wetlands has a pair of Eastern Screech Owls that sometimes call during the day. There are quite a few places along the road where the chat are easy to find.

        The other observation that I will pass on is the Brown Thrasher at the SGI Youth camp that does Chuck-Wills-Widow and has for several years, it has an amazing repertoire of calls and I've stalked it many times while it was doing any number of its impressions, you'll have to see it to believe it.

        White-rumped Sandpipers were present again this year west of the public beach at Carrabelle.

        Rodney Cassidy
        Tallahassee, Florida