St. George Island (Thursday)

  • Barry Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      Not large numbers of birds, but a fair variety.

      1- M. Scarlet Tanager
      Pair Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
      Pair Orchard Orioles
      1- M. Indigo Bunting
      1- E. Kingbird
      A few Hermit Thrushes
      1- Perregrine Falcon w/kill (looked like Green Heron)
      3- Red-eyed Vireos
      1-Yellow-throated Vireo
      +- 20 Palm Warblers
      2- Prothonotary Warblers
      1- Worm-eating Warbler
      3- N. Parulas
      3-Yellow-throated Warblers
      1-Prairie Warbler

      All the regulars plus one special bird, a perched post-mortem Gray Catbird. ( I left the way I found it, untouched, it looks like he just leaned forward on a twig and passed.  I actually thought it was alive as it must have just expired very recently.  For those going to the picnic area soon he is about 20 yardstowards the gulf past the popular Oak canopy adjacent to the parking spaces. He is there about waist height.  Different!

      Barry J.