new backyard bird

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2002
      Hey Floridabirds,

      A new backyard bird for my little 1/4-acre wooded lot in a residential
      neighborhood in northwest Tallahassee.

      The strange thing is the bird doesn't belong here. His nearest normal
      habitat is at least a mile away.

      Came home tonight after a thunderstorm hit the area to find an American
      Woodcock checking out my ground feed for the doves and also exploring the
      very small patch of semi-open wooded habitat at the back of my yard. By the
      time I loaded film in my Nikon and attached the "big" lens, the bird had
      vanished.

      Anyone ever come across a woodcock in a pine/oak habitat in a residential
      neighborhood with small lots?

      Harry Hooper
      Tallahassee, Fl.