Hypocritical RFI

  • Rob Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2002
      OK, I know I just gave a speech recently about the virtues of birding where you are. I'm still a firm believer in that philosophy, but... next week I may have 2+ days to do some serious Florida birding. I'm requesting information about planning a great summer birding quest here in the state. I can probably bird anywhere in central or north Florida. I've never seen most of the central FL specialties: Crested Caracara, Scrub Jay, Bachman's Sparrow, etc. I really don't care where I go, I am just really looking forward to some exciting time in the field. So, if you have the time, feel free to share your expertise. Also, if anyone knows of some good camping spots around the state, please feel free to share your recommendations as well. This is sort of an end of my rookie birding year blow-out.

      Yard report: Yesterday we had a beautiful juvenile Red-Shouldered Hawk perch about two feet above our birdbath. It stayed there for over ten minutes just watching. Young birds are everywhere: last week we had a family of 5 Red-Shouldered Hawks glide through the yard, tons of Titmice, Carolina Wrens, House Finches, Cardinals, Blue Jays and Great Crested Flycatchers are ever-present.

      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL
      rlengach@...