yard birds

  • Tracee Strohman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
      This morning there was a White-throated Sparrow hopping in the azalea outside my window and a lone Pine Siskin at the feeder.
      I've seen only very typical birds in my yard for some time now so these two birds make me very happy.
      Tracee Strohman
      Indianhead Acres

    • Fran Rutkovsky
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2011
        I had a first of fall beautiful Blue-headed Vireo bathing in the mist sprayer around 1 pm today. I'm pretty sure I've heard a Yellow-bellied
        sapsucker lately but have not seen it. Had a first of season Ruby-crowned Kinglet on Monday. Resident birds are still coming
        in to the feeders and to bathe but not sticking around all the time. I still have 2 Rubythroated hummers and occasionally see a
        Hooded warbler. Otherwise it's been pretty quiet this fall.

        --------
        Fran Rutkovsky
        Tallahassee, FL
        franrutkovsky@...

      • Fran Rutkovsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2011
          I had a Brown Creeper in the ravine this afternoon. It was associating on a tree with a Black & White Warbler and a
          White-breasted Nuthatch. Ed Woodruff missed it by about a minute. Though Jim Cavanagh has seen a Brown Creeper in my yard, this was my first sighting.
          I had a first of fall Chipping Sparrow yesterday.

          --------
          Fran Rutkovsky
          Tallahassee, FL
          franrutkovsky@...

        • Fran Rutkovsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
            I had a first-of-season Hermit Thrush and Orange-crowned warbler in the yard this morning. 3 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers yesterday were in the ravine.

            --------
            Fran Rutkovsky
            Tallahassee, FL
            franrutkovsky@...

          • Fran Rutkovsky
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 13, 2012
              I had a female Wilson's warbler bathing under the mister today around 1 p.m. Also today saw my first of spring male
              Rubythroat, though I'm pretty sure I saw it zooming off yesterday. Other birds around include a female Summer Tanager
              (been here all winter); Gray Catbird; 4 Goldfinches; a few Chipping sparrows left; 3 Baltimore Orioles.

              Saturday morning there were at least 15 noisy Blue Jays in a tree in the ravine. Not sure what they were squawking about.

              --------
              Fran Rutkovsky
              Tallahassee, FL
              franrutkovsky@...

            • tracee11@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2012
                Yesterday there was a Female Baltimore Oriole on the jelly feeder - I've only ever noticed them in my yard in September. This morning a Hermit Thrush is around. The Chipping Sparrows have been on the millet for almost a week.

                Tracee Strohman
                Indianhead Acres
                Tallahassee
              • alicesmith759
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2013
                  My FOS Goldfinch came today; that's a couple of weeks later than last year. Still not a lot of birds though the RSHawk stopped for a drink. He didn't stay long.
                  Alice
                  McAlpin, Suwannee County

                • Fran Rutkovsky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 24, 2016

                    I have neglected to post sightings from my yard this fall, mostly because the birds were here and then gone. Fall migration was very spotty, and migrants I usually see were absent.

                    The winter birds have come in, or at least have shown up to check things out.

                    Some recent highlights:

                    Golden-crowned kinglet —Nov, 23, and briefly the week before

                    Winter Wren—Nov. 12 (in and out; haven't seen or heard it since last week)

                    Brown Creeper—Oct. 29 (I think I posted about this one)

                    I usually see/hear a Winter Wren every fall, at least when it first comes in. I haven't seen a Golden-crowned Kinglet or Brown Creeper in the yard in years.
                    Happy turkey day!

                    --------
                    Fran Rutkovsky
                    Tallahassee, FL
                    franrutkovsky@...

                  • Fran Rutkovsky
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 22
                      I've been hearing a first of spring Great-crested flycatcher calling somewhere in the ravine for a couple of days. The female Wilson's warbler that has been here since the first
                      week of Dec. is still hanging around hawking insects in the bushes and bathing in the birdbaths. I hadn't seen her for a week or two and thought she had left, but she showed
                      up again yesterday and today. I never know what time of day she'll be around.

                      --------
                      Fran Rutkovsky
                      Tallahassee, FL
                      franrutkovsky@...

                    • Gary Griffin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 22
                        Eagerly expecting a Great-crested every day here in Glendale but nothing yet. Our wintering Yellow-breasted Chat continues to hang around as well as a half dozen Baltimore Orioles. We’re down to one more jar of grape jelly which may be just enough to get us to the fall!

                        Gary Griffin

                        Tallahassee

                        "… let us run with endurance the race that is set before us …"

                        Hebrews 12:1c

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2
                          A migrating Worm-eating warbler hit our kitchen window this morning but flew away after about 15 minutes. After not seeing the female Wilson's warbler for a couple of days,
                          she showed up to bathe this afternoon. That makes 4 months that she's been hanging around our yard & ravine. I also noticed a ratty looking Yellow-rumped warbler
                          today, and I think I heard one or two Red-eyed vireos this morning in the ravine.

                          --------
                          Fran Rutkovsky
                          Tallahassee, FL
                          franrutkovsky@...

                        • Patricia Hefner
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2
                             Warblers! Send those birds up here!
                            Patricia
                            In support of my canaries Sonja and Persephone