Southwood (15 Jun)

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2002
      A few brief notes from a visit to Southwood:

      Kingfisher Pond (from the north end):
      Two juvenile LITTLE BLUE HERONS acting like cattle egrets, seven+ KILLDEER,
      one each GREAT BLUE HERON and GREAT EGRET. Far, far away at the south end,
      25+ WOOD STORKS and egrets/herons galore. Overhead, a kettle of seven Storks
      and an ANHINGA.

      Pond across the field from the ballfields on Shumard Oak Drive: a flock of
      WHITE IBIS and a few CATTLE EGRETS.

      "Gator Pond" (Bald Cypress Way and Merchants Row): two NORTHERN BOBWHITE(!),
      a LITTLE BLUE HERON, BLUE JAY, and COMMON GRACKLE. The Green Heron that
      hangs out here was not present...

      Pond by "Central Park" (off the road back to the Sales Center): flock of
      White Ibis, a few egrets.

      We discovered that by turning left onto the unmarked paved road at the Sales
      Center, you come out onto Southwood Plantation Road, which runs up to Old
      St. Augustine Rd and Apalachee Pkwy. There is a gate, but it was wide
      open...a shortcut to S'wd from WallyWorld!

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2002
        >>"Gator Pond" (Bald Cypress Way and Merchants Row): two NORTHERN
        BOBWHITE(!), a LITTLE BLUE HERON, BLUE JAY, and COMMON GRACKLE.<<

        Brain burp, and I forgot to mention the BROWN THRASHER and MOCKERS that were
        also there...

        -S.P.M.
        ---