Pete Dunne Coming to Tallahassee

  • Pam Flynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      **

      *Give the gift of nature in those stockings this year and help Apalachee
      Audubon too! Tickets on sale now.
      *

      *
      *

      *
      *

      *Attention Birders and Nature Lovers!!! *

      *Pete Dunne*, the Consummate Bird Storyteller,

      Coming to *Tallahassee*!

      A fun filled weekend *Jan 22-24*

      Pete is Director of the Cape May Bird Observatory and VP for Natural History
      Information. He is author of twelve books (including PETE DUNNE'S FIELD
      GUIDE COMPANION and PETE DUNNE ON BIRDING) and has written columns and
      articles for every major birding and natural history publication. Since
      1976, Pete has brought thousands of people to greater awareness and
      understanding of the natural world.

      * *Jan 22* � Meet & Greet Social. Join us to welcome Pete to Tallahassee and
      delight in the vast knowledge and passion of his life�s work. Attendance
      limited. $50 (includes ticket for keynote on Jan 23)

      * *Jan 23* � Pete will deliver his keynote on *Small-headed Flycatcher.
      Seen Yesterday. He didn't leave his name--the rediscovery of an extinct
      species and how it became lost � again*, along with a book signing. 4pm.
      Tallahassee Community College, Building 38 (Economics and Workforce
      Development at SW end of campus) $10

      * *Jan 24* � Pete will host a Wakulla Springs State Park boat ride. Space
      limited to 30 seats. After *Wakulla** Springs State Park** *fees, all
      proceeds will go to *Friends of Wakulla* for boat renovation. $20

      *Tickets and additional information* for all events are available at *Wild
      Birds Unlimited/Tallahassee* or by calling (850)383-1238 or by visiting the
      following websites: www.apalachee.org or www.tallahassee.wbu.com or
      tallypfly57@....

      Event sponsored by *Wild Birds Unlimited � Tallahassee *

      with proceeds to benefit Apalachee Audubon and Friends of Wakulla.

      *All donations to Apalachee Audubon are **tax-deductible under section
      501(c)(3) of the* *Internal Revenue Code** . ***

    • Pam Flynn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
        *The holidays are behind us and now it's time to start filling in that 2011
        calendar!
        *

        *Tickets on sale now.
        *

        *
        *

        *Attention Birders and Nature Lovers!!! *

        *Pete Dunne*, the Consummate Bird Storyteller,

        Coming to *Tallahassee*!

        A fun filled weekend *Jan 22-24*

        Pete is Director of the Cape May Bird Observatory and VP for Natural History
        Information. He is author of twelve books (including PETE DUNNE'S FIELD
        GUIDE COMPANION and PETE DUNNE ON BIRDING) and has written columns and
        articles for every major birding and natural history publication. Since
        1976, Pete has brought thousands of people to greater awareness and
        understanding of the natural world.

        * *Jan 22* � Meet & Greet Social. Join us to welcome Pete to Tallahassee and
        delight in the vast knowledge and passion of his life�s work. Attendance
        limited. $50 (includes ticket for keynote on Jan 23) 6:30-8:30

        * *Jan 23* � Pete will deliver his keynote on *Small-headed Flycatcher.
        Seen Yesterday. He didn't leave his name--the rediscovery of an extinct
        species and how it became lost � again*, along with a book signing. 4pm.
        Tallahassee Community College, Building 38 (Economics and Workforce
        Development at SW end of campus) $10

        * *Jan 24* � Pete will host a Wakulla Springs State Park boat ride. Space
        limited to 30 seats. After *Wakulla** Springs State Park** *fees, all
        proceeds will go to *Friends of Wakulla* for boat renovation. 9am $20

        ****

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011

          Went down to the Southwood development in southeastern Tallahassee
          today to check the fields on the east side of Biltmore Drive for
          geese. There were no White-fronted or, as it turned out, Snow Geese
          present; however, in the flock of 100+ Canada Geese between the
          southernmost pond and Hemingway Drive were two white geese that looked
          suspiciously small...and upon closer inspection proved to be two
          ROSS'S GEESE. Was also cool seeing a flock of about a dozen
          Meadowlarks flying over the pasture at the north end of the road.

          Location: Southwood -- Biltmore Avenue Fields
          Observation date: 1/4/11 - 5:22/16min - 1.0mi traveled
          Number of species: 7

          Ross's Goose 2
          Canada Goose 148
          Bufflehead 5
          Hooded Merganser 2
          Killdeer 2
          Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
          Eastern Meadowlark 12

          -Sean P. McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA
        • Jim Stevenson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
            I spent the day with my best friend of many years, Richard Perry, and we
            went to the coast to bird.

            Our first destination was Alligator Point, where I wanted to show Richard
            scoters and other goodies at Mud Cove. This area is replete with luscious
            brown sediments from trapped currents of marine detritus and historically is
            a hotbed for various groups of interesting winter birds.

            While the majority of birds were DC Cormorants and Lesser Scaups, we did
            find two female Surf Scoters and three Red-throated Loons, both lifers for
            Richard. On the wires was a flock of Blue Jays, obviously the northern race,
            cristata cristata. They have an additional, different call, bringing to mind
            a double titmouse whistle. They are slightly larger than our Southern Blue
            Jay, and often coastal. They may sometimes be seen migrating during fall
            cold fronts, but WILL NOT CROSS WATER. They often "turn around" in places
            like the trip of Alligator Point.

            We also had a handsome male Lark Sparrow sitting atop a large lime rock on
            the left, halfway down the road after the Y, and a Clay-colored Sparrow in a
            flock of Chipping Sparrows. The latter was a very nice bird, not chippy like
            the rest of them.

            After a shameful gorging of ourselves at the Coastal Restaurant in Panacea,
            we went to the refuge looking like beached whales. Most interesting bird for
            me was an amazingly small Red-shouldered Hawk juvie, after seeing several
            that were far larger. I do not believe this difference was sexual; I
            strongly suspect it was the South Florida race (pale as adults, but this was
            a juv). I am not aware of it ranging this far north or west.

            There were Redheads (speaking of acting chippy) of various ages along the
            road in the left ditch, as well as some interesting Lesser Scaups of same.
            Lighthouse Pond was crawling with duckage, with the best being delicious
            Canvasbacks and scaups to a Greater or Lesser extent. Also shovelers, one
            female sadwall, wigeon (but far more back up the road), mas Redheads,
            Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, ruddies and one female Ruddy with a bizarre
            PATTERN (!) on her head. Got pictures, those of you on my bird list.

            There were many hundreds of robins in the gymnosperms along the road eating
            berries, with many of the males (kinda) singing. It was a half-hearted,
            mumbling song, not unlike some who sing our National Anthem at ball games.

            Great seeing so many of you at Books-a-Million before Christmas, and I hope
            to see you the 16th for a trip to Tall Timbers.

            Jim, thankfully in Tallahassee