Ash-throated Flycatcher - Maclay Gardens

  • Andy Wraithmell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2010
      I was joined by 14 birders this morning for a casual 2 hour stroll through the gardens enjoying the birds. The undoubted highlight was a fine Ash-throated Flycatcher, which showed off to the group from as close as 25 feet at times. It was fly catching along the weedy/scrubby shoreline of Lake Hall at the end of the field in front of the Maclay House. It  was not at all shy. Scope views were, as we say in England, crippling!
      Other highlights on the walk included a fly over Northern Harrier, Yellow-throated Warbler, Swamp Sparrow, House Wren and many Golden-crowned Kinglets (mostly heard and outnumbering the Ruby-crowns). There have been lots of Golden-crowned Kinglets in the park this past week.

      Andy Wraithmell
      Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park