Reddish Egret at Springhill STF

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      Spent the early afternoon at the Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Facility.
      The highlight of the hour was the juvenile REDDISH EGRET in one of the
      north-south oriented ponds. Breeders included the PURPLE MARTINS, both BARN
      and ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, the CANADA GEESE, and a family of MALLARDS. There
      were large numbers of LEAST TERNS on the dry bed of "Swan Lake" - some were
      courting, could they try to breed there? Also saw an enormous softshell
      turtle and a 5' gator...

      The List:
      Snowy Egret (2)
      REDDISH EGRET (1)
      White Ibis (1)
      GLOSSY IBIS (2)
      Canada Goose (35, breeding)
      Mallard (18, breeding)
      LESSER SCAUP (2, late)
      Semipalmated Plover (several)
      Killdeer (lots)
      Black-necked Stilt (1-2)
      Greater Yellowlegs (1, late)
      Semipalmated Sandpiper }
      Least Sandpiper } "peeps" galore
      White-rumped Sandpiper }
      Least Tern (25+)
      Purple Martin (30+)
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow (13+)
      Barn Swallow (8+)
      Northern Mockingbird (2)
      European Starling (3-4)
      Red-winged Blackbird (1+)
      Common Grackle (several)
      Orchard Oriole (heard only)

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

      ---
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        It was May, and - given the dearth of migrants - that means one thing:
        Breeding Season. For the first time, I was out and about and actually
        looking for evidence of breeding. As in every other case before, when I
        started looking, I noticed the three-leafed clover I'd overlooked be-three,
        as Bugs Bunny once said.

        Codes-
        C - Courtship/Copulation
        N - visiting probable Nest site
        NB - Nest Building/gathering material
        FY - carrying Food for Young
        FL - Fledglings/downy young
        ON - Occupied Nest/owls with burrow
        NY - Nest with Young.

        NW of Mayo [Lafayette County]
        Burrowing Owl, ON

        Springhill Rd STF, Tallahassee [Leon]
        Canada Goose, FL
        Mallard, FL
        Least Tern, C
        Purple Martin, NY (and FL)
        Northern Rough-winged Swallow, FL
        Barn Swallow, FL

        Tallahassee [Leon]
        Least Tern, N (319 just S of Centerville Rd)
        Least Tern, C (US-90 and US-319)
        Northern Mockingbird, FY

        Madison [Madison]
        Wood Duck, FL (Lake Frances)
        Purple Martin, NB (N FL Community College)

        Crawfordville [Wakulla]
        Purple Martin, ON
        Northern Mockingbird, FL
        Common Grackle, FL
        Orchard Oriole, FL

        Our Property [Wakulla]
        Chimney Swift, NB
        Ruby-throated Hummingbird, C
        Common Nighthawk, C
        Common Ground-Dove, C
        Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, FL
        Northern Parula, NB
        Brown-headed Cowbird, C

        Saint Marks (City) [Wakulla]
        Barn Swallow, FL
        House Finch, FL

        Saint Marks NWR [Wakulla]
        Common Moorhen, FL
        Barn Swallow, N
        Carolina Wren, N
        Northern Mockingbird, FL
        Boat-tailed Grackle, NB
        (Also a pair of Gray Kingbirds)

        Wakulla County Library, Medart [Wakulla]
        Northern Mockingbird, FL