Murder at Kingfisher Pond

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2002
      A murder of CROWS, that is. :-) About a dozen, both species, on the wires on
      the west side of the pond very late this afternoon. At long last, I finally
      got my first Leon County EASTERN TOWHEE (#151). One of the mockingbirds gave
      me quite a start when it launched into multiple "Phoe-be! Phoe-be!" calls.
      That bird also had kingfisher and Acadian Flycatcher in its bag of tricks...

      Kingfisher Pond:
      Great Egret
      Wood Stork (2, overhead)
      Killdeer
      Larid sp. (2, too far away to ID even to subfamily)
      Yellow-billed Cuckoo (heard only)
      Common Nighthawk (heard only)
      Belted Kingfisher (2)
      American Crow
      Fish Crow
      Eastern Bluebird
      Northern Mockingbird
      Eastern Towhee

      We checked out a new (to us, at least) section of Southwood, back behind the
      main housing development, down by the golf course/sales office area. We
      found 11 WOOD STORKS in the large lake behind the housing development (Rob -
      have you been back there yet?), and up a side road (which I cannot remember
      the name of) we heard a pretty good passel of passerines.

      Southwood "back 40":
      Canada Goose
      Wood Stork (11)
      Northern Bobwhite (heard only)
      Common Nighthawk
      Eastern Wood-Pewee (heard only)
      Great Crested Flycatcher (heard only)
      Carolina Chickadee (heard only)
      Tufted Titmouse
      Carolina Wren
      Northern Mockingbird
      Blue Grosbeak
      Indigo Bunting (heard only)
      (and doubtless a few others I've forgotten)

      Also, in the state office complex area, a COMMON GRACKLE blasted off
      carrying food for its young, and we found a fledgling MOCKINGBIRD along with
      its mad, mad momma!

      On the way to Southwood, a GREEN HERON flew across Capital Circle just north
      of Blair Stone Rd; and, last but not "least" (COMMON, actually ;-) ), a
      NIGHTHAWK flew over 319 a tad south of Tram Rd.

      Not a bad day...

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        Hi all,

        Spent the early afternoon at the Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Facility.
        The highlight of the hour was the juvenile REDDISH EGRET in one of the
        north-south oriented ponds. Breeders included the PURPLE MARTINS, both BARN
        and ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, the CANADA GEESE, and a family of MALLARDS. There
        were large numbers of LEAST TERNS on the dry bed of "Swan Lake" - some were
        courting, could they try to breed there? Also saw an enormous softshell
        turtle and a 5' gator...

        The List:
        Snowy Egret (2)
        REDDISH EGRET (1)
        White Ibis (1)
        GLOSSY IBIS (2)
        Canada Goose (35, breeding)
        Mallard (18, breeding)
        LESSER SCAUP (2, late)
        Semipalmated Plover (several)
        Killdeer (lots)
        Black-necked Stilt (1-2)
        Greater Yellowlegs (1, late)
        Semipalmated Sandpiper }
        Least Sandpiper } "peeps" galore
        White-rumped Sandpiper }
        Least Tern (25+)
        Purple Martin (30+)
        Northern Rough-winged Swallow (13+)
        Barn Swallow (8+)
        Northern Mockingbird (2)
        European Starling (3-4)
        Red-winged Blackbird (1+)
        Common Grackle (several)
        Orchard Oriole (heard only)

        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          It was May, and - given the dearth of migrants - that means one thing:
          Breeding Season. For the first time, I was out and about and actually
          looking for evidence of breeding. As in every other case before, when I
          started looking, I noticed the three-leafed clover I'd overlooked be-three,
          as Bugs Bunny once said.

          Codes-
          C - Courtship/Copulation
          N - visiting probable Nest site
          NB - Nest Building/gathering material
          FY - carrying Food for Young
          FL - Fledglings/downy young
          ON - Occupied Nest/owls with burrow
          NY - Nest with Young.

          NW of Mayo [Lafayette County]
          Burrowing Owl, ON

          Springhill Rd STF, Tallahassee [Leon]
          Canada Goose, FL
          Mallard, FL
          Least Tern, C
          Purple Martin, NY (and FL)
          Northern Rough-winged Swallow, FL
          Barn Swallow, FL

          Tallahassee [Leon]
          Least Tern, N (319 just S of Centerville Rd)
          Least Tern, C (US-90 and US-319)
          Northern Mockingbird, FY

          Madison [Madison]
          Wood Duck, FL (Lake Frances)
          Purple Martin, NB (N FL Community College)

          Crawfordville [Wakulla]
          Purple Martin, ON
          Northern Mockingbird, FL
          Common Grackle, FL
          Orchard Oriole, FL

          Our Property [Wakulla]
          Chimney Swift, NB
          Ruby-throated Hummingbird, C
          Common Nighthawk, C
          Common Ground-Dove, C
          Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, FL
          Northern Parula, NB
          Brown-headed Cowbird, C

          Saint Marks (City) [Wakulla]
          Barn Swallow, FL
          House Finch, FL

          Saint Marks NWR [Wakulla]
          Common Moorhen, FL
          Barn Swallow, N
          Carolina Wren, N
          Northern Mockingbird, FL
          Boat-tailed Grackle, NB
          (Also a pair of Gray Kingbirds)

          Wakulla County Library, Medart [Wakulla]
          Northern Mockingbird, FL