Summer reports for FFN

  • John Murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
      Big Bend Birders,

      I am currently accepting reports of significant summer (1 June - 31 July) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon & Jefferson counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST & NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS.  Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

      Species

      Number of individuals

      Location

      Date

      Observer(s)

      Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

      If you have any questions, please contact me at southmoonunder@...

      Thanks very much.

      John Murphy
      Alligator Pt, FL

    • John Murphy

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2016
                Big Bend Birders,

                ***PLEASE NOTE...my coverage area has expanded eastward and I'm now compiling reports for all counties between the Suwannee and Apalachicola rivers.***

                I am currently accepting reports of significant summer (1 June - 31 July ) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Lafayette, Taylor & Dixie counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST and NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS. Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

                Species

                Number of individuals

                Location

                Date

                Observer(s)

                Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

                If you have any questions, please contact me at southmoonunder@...

                Thanks very much.

                John Murphy

                Alligator Pt, FL

              • Marvin T Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2016
                  John:

                  Here are some observations:

                  Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 25 adults

                  Jefferson County Recycling pond Hwy 146 east of Monticello, FL

                  July 5 Observers: Marvin T. Smith and Robert Emond

                  Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 22 Adults plus one family of 11 babies.

                  Jefferson County Recycling Pond Hwy 146 east of Monticello, FL

                  July 31 Observers: Marvin and Amanda Smith, Robert Emond, and Linda Most

                  Solitary Sandpiper- 1 (first seen)

                  Jeffco Dairy (just east of junction of Hwys 221 and 146

                  July 22 Observers: Marvin T. Smith and Robert Emond

                  Solitary Sandpiper - 3 (highest number seen)

                  Jeffco Dairy

                  July 31 Observers: Marvin T. Smith, Amanda Smith, Robert Emond, Linda Most

                  Swallow-tailed Kite - 8-10 (hard to get accurate total as they moved around a lot and we were watching two fields on opposite sides of Hwy 221 but we agreed that there were around 10.)

                  Fields at junction of Hwy 221/146 both east and west of road.

                  July 28. Observers: Marvin T. Smith and Robert Emond. This was the high number of SWTK I saw in Jefferson County this year (way down from previous years, but maybe I just wasn't there the right time).

                  Marvin T. Smith

                  Valdosta, GA