FLORIDA ANNOUNCES IMPROVED OILED BIRD RECOVERY PLAN

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 11:40 AM
      FYI. DEP just sent this out this afternoon. Here's a link to the PDF.
      Text version is below.

      http://www.dep.state.fl.us/deepwaterhorizon/files/070110_oiled_bird_plan\
      .pdf
      <http://www.dep.state.fl.us/deepwaterhorizon/files/070110_oiled_bird_pla\
      n.pdf>

      For immediate release: JULY 1, 2010

      Contact: PUBLIC INFORMATION ESF14 ¨C 850-921-0217

      FLORIDA ANNOUNCES IMPROVED OILED BIRD RECOVERY PLAN

      ~New response plan ensures quick recovery of oiled birds~

      TALLAHASSEE ¨C The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
      (FWC) together with federal partners today announced the creation of an
      oiled bird recovery plan for rapid response to distressed birds. The
      recovery plan was created and approved by the Incident Command Sector
      Mobile, with assistance from impacted states, to ensure oiled birds are
      recovered within 60 minutes of their initial report. Under the plan, a
      Florida Panhandle Group will be established in Panama City to coordinate
      the rapid recovery and rescue of injured wildlife on Florida¡¯s
      shores.

      ¡°It is critical that trained personnel respond rapidly to reports of
      wildlife in distress due to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill,¡± said
      FWC Executive Director Nick Wiley. ¡°We are hopeful that this new
      plan created in coordination with our federal partners will better
      protect Florida¡¯s precious wildlife.¡±

      The Florida Panhandle Group will consist of three task forces, covering
      two to three counties each throughout Northwest Florida. The Group is
      made up of 150 field personnel including biologists, wildlife
      rehabilitators and Vessels of Opportunity captains. When an oiled bird
      is reported to the Oiled Wildlife Hotline, the corresponding task force
      in that region will be notified and the nearest trained wildlife experts
      will quickly respond.

      FWC, in coordination with the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC),
      would also like to remind Floridians and visitors to report any
      sightings of wildlife oiled or injured as a result of Deepwater Horizon
      oil spill by calling the Oiled Wildlife Hotline number at
      1©\866©\557©\1401. The hotline operator will contact the
      nearest response team and dispatch it to attempt to rescue the animal.

      People naturally want to help injured animals. However, untrained
      rescuers may cause more harm than good. The public should not touch,
      approach or try to rescue the animal. Handling oiled wildlife may pose a
      serious health and safety risk to both would-be rescuers and the animal
      they are trying to rescue. The chemicals in oil are toxic and only
      trained personnel with appropriate protective gear and equipment should
      handle and treat oiled animals.

      Such rescues require hazardous-material training, permits and
      animal-handling skills to ensure human safety and the best interests of
      the animal. The Oiled Wildlife Hotline number is staffed 24 hours a day,
      7 days a week. For more information, please visit
      http://myfwc.com/OilSpill/OilSpill_FAQs.htm
      <http://myfwc.com/OilSpill/OilSpill_FAQs.htm> or
      http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/deepwater_horizon/Public_Flyer_Marine_Wildl\
      ife_Response_Action_Plan.pdf
      <http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/deepwater_horizon/Public_Flyer_Marine_Wild\
      life_Response_Action_Plan.pdf>

      For the latest information regarding Florida¡¯s response to the
      Deepwater Horizon oil spill, visit www.deepwaterhorizonflorida.com
      <http://www.deepwaterhorizonflorida.com/> or follow
      www.Twitter.com/FLDEPalert <http://www.twitter.com/FLDEPalert> .

      -30-

    • steve_holzman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 6:25 AM
        This is good, but I think folks need to understand the difficulty involved. I spent 2 weeks in the Mobile sector doing GIS mapping to support the field crews searching for oiled birds. The hotline system in place (calls go to Houston, then to Mobile, then to USFWS dispatch in Mobile, then to the closest crew) leaves something to be desired, but even so, the bird reported may only be slightly oiled, and when they arrive on site, the bird is capable of unrestricted flight and continually flies out of reach. It's only when they are severely oiled that they are easier to capture. They are doing the best they can, but it's extremely difficult if not near impossible to capture a fully flighted gull, tern or pelican. Most crews are 2 person crews, but there is usually someone else on-site to help corral the bird. I know rehabbing oiled birds is controversial, but we as an agency or even as a society can't just let them die without trying, and all the oiled bird capture costs are or will be borne by BP. At the same time as we do this, we should also stress protection of nesting birds on beaches (sometimes from the very crews that are cleaning the beaches), and in the future we should really try to keep the beaches free of free-roaming cats. Sadly, they kill more birds on a yearly basis than ANY oil spill.

        Steve Holzman
        North High Shoals, GA