Spring reports for FFN

  • John Murphy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1 6:34 AM
      Big Bend Birders,

      I am currently accepting reports of significant spring (1 March - 31 May) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon & Jefferson counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST & NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS.  Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

      Species

      Number of individuals

      Location

      Date

      Observer(s)

      Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

      If you have any questions, please contact me at southmoonunder@...

      Thanks very much.

      John Murphy
      Alligator Pt, FL

    • swamphen@heirborn.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1 5:12 PM
        Hi John,

        Here's my submissions for NAB/FFN for spring. One obs is out-of-area,
        but I'm not sure who to send it to, can you handle that? Thanks.

        -Sean P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA

        All observations by Sean McCool.

        Notes: Migrants seemed scarce this year. Kingbirds seem conspicious by
        their near absence.

        Lesser Scaup, 1 male, Mashes Sands County Park, Wakulla, 6 May

        Northern Bobwhite, heard calling in agricultural area WSW of Live Oak
        (Rocky Sink Baptist Church), Suwannee, 28 May

        Common Loon, 1 (flyby) at Sunrise Beach (Bald Point SP), Franklin, 4 May

        Magnificent Frigatebird, 2 (1 juv 1 ad. male) at Sunrise Beach (Bald
        Point SP), Franklin, 4 May

        Swallow-tailed Kite, first of season, Ivan, Wakulla, 29 March

        Mississippi Kite, first of season, Medart, Wakulla, 1 April

        American Golden-Plover, 2 at Tower Pond, St. Marks NWR, Wakulla, 12 April

        Whimbrel, 1 at Levy Bay Landing, Wakulla, 6 May; 3 at Mashes Sands
        County Park, Wakulla, 25 May

        Upland Sandpiper, 1 northwest of Carabelle, Franklin, 4 April

        Sanderling, 32 at Mashes Sands County Park, Wakulla, 4 May

        Northern Parula, 1 singing in Edgewater, Volusia (unusually south?), 31 May

        Bobolink, 1 male, Southwood, Leon, 2 May

        White-throated Sparrow, 3 lingering, Tom Brown Park, Leon, 10 April
      • swamphen@heirborn.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1 5:12 PM
          My apologies, I meant to send that only to John, not to the lists!
          -S.P.M.
        • John Murphy