St George Youth Camp, Island, etc

  • austrina1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2010
      Several birders including myself and John Murphy, Ed Woodruff, Gary Davis, Anita Fodor, and the Hendersons tried our luck at the youth camp today. My most notable find is a member of the largest species in the genus Crotalus that, evidently, makes a loud buzzing noise when you corner..........uh..........I mean stumble upon it. My second best find came at 6:20 pm, a couple of hours after everyone else had left. I thought I heard a song that sounded like an indigo bunting that both took music lessons and drank only energy drinks. Of course I was pretty tired by then and self-diagnosed myself with heat exhaustion. When the noise persisted I decided to test my hypothesis by walking toward it and either passing out or adding a new species for the day. It turns out that I'm still a hypochondriac and male painted buntings do sometimes sing at the youth camp. I would otherwise rate this day as pretty slow.

      99 species................slowest coastal day in a while

      9 wood warblers.................8 at the youth camp

      Yellow..............6
      Cape May.........1
      Prairie...............4
      Blackpoll............7
      Am. Redstart.......7
      N. Waterthrush.......1 or 2
      Baltimore Oriole
      Am. Goldfinch..........2
      Orchard Oriole...............6++
      Common ground doves..........10
      Gray Kingbirds........................4

      Hooded Warbler.............Tricia's Way Drive..........off the island.

      I had an immature female warbler that I'm 98% sure was a Wilson's, but I didn't include it in my totals.

      Blue-headed Vireo.......1
      YT Vireo......................1...............Ed W.'s
      Sedge Wren.................1
      Swainson's thrush..........1............John M.'s

      Gull-billed tern

      Rodney Cassidy
      Tallahassee, Florida

    • swamphen@heirborn.net
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2010
        The other night, when it was breezy and stormy-feeling after dark, I
        got out of the car getting home late and, for a moment, had one of
        those "what the..." feelings. Because I was hearing something
        familiar, but at first unrecognisable due to the location, five miles
        inland.

        And then I realised where I'd heard this sound before: at the St.
        Marks refuge, with the flocks of shorebirds...

        Apparently, the weather was such that migrating flocks of shorebirds
        were flying "low and slow", and their calls were clearly audible for
        almost three full minutes as they passed over heading north. I was
        able to ID Willet and Short-billed Dowitcher, as well as one
        Black-bellied Plover call. Later, another flock passed over as well.
        It was awesome.

        - Sean P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA