leon county---unusual sightings--YC nightheron, white pelicans

  • austrina1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      Today I had a number of "good" species, last month I had 144 species for Leon County, my best March ever in Leon County.

      89 species today

      AJ Henry

      RB Grosbeak
      Swainson's thrush
      Pine siskin
      American goldfinch
      4 vireos

      We (10 of us) watched a flock of 40 white pelicans in Edinburg Estates. They never got over 100 feet off of the ground, and seem to be staying in the Fred George Sink, Duck Pond, Lake Jackson vicinity.

      Yellow-crowned night heron---same area, while preparing to do my roosting counts I kept hearing a night heron calling from a tree. After a few minutes of calling , it left the tree a flew low over me, it was around sunset, much earlier than my night herons usually fly. YC night herons are generally hard to find in Leon County.

      We have blue grosbeaks and numerous indigo buntings at our feeders.
      All 4 vireos, red-eyed v., numbers have been increasing all week.

      A sharp-shinned hawk has been hanging out near my house.

      Other birds of interest today and yesterday:

      GH Owl
      Merlin
      Greater Scaup 1
      Lesser Scaup 16
      Hooded merganser
      BW teal 16

      A large vulture roost has formed near Duck Pond with 100 Black Buzzards and up to 175 Turkey vultures sometimes riding the thermals with anhingas and our nesting wood storks etc...

      Rodney and Lydia Cassidy