Leon: Least Terns; Peregrine

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2002
      Will someone please CC this message to Gail Menk...

      I have noted a potential LEAST TERN nesting site. It is in the retention
      pond on the east side of Captial Circle NE just south of Centerville Rd.
      There is a small island in the NE corner of the pond. The past three days
      that we have driven by this location there have been between three and seven
      terns on this island. Today one of the terns was seen attemting to chase off
      a CROW! (The crow was not impressed.) Also in this pond are one or two pairs
      of CANADA GEESE, one of which has at least 6 goslings.

      Least Terns have also returned to nest atop the Publix at Mahan and Capital
      Circle. Courtship feeding was observed on top of an A/C unit on the roof,
      viewed from behind the center.

      Finally, this afternoon, while studying traffic patterns (ahem) at Apalachee
      and Capital Circle, what should go gliding/soaring over but a PEREGRINE!

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      2002: 226...and counting
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14, 2002

        Made a visit to St. Marks - the town, not the refuge - today. Highlights:

        Breeding HOUSE FINCHES (Wakulla County's second breeding record - right
        Jack?). A pair, feeding a fledgling, on the power line that runs into the
        Yacht Club at Yacht Lane and City Park Drive.

        At least eleven (!) SPOTTED SANDPIPERS at Wakulla River County Park; also
        watched a LITTLE BLUE HERON use his built-in crab cracker. :-)

        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 12 , May 14, 2002
          A correction: the Spotted Sandpipers were at Wakulla River CITY park, not
          county.

          -S.P.M.

          ---
        • Swamphen
          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2002

            Early this afternoon we made a return visit to Saint Marks City Park in
            Saint Marks (duh). One of my priorities was to get a handle on just how many
            HOUSE FINCHES are in town. I discovered that the house on City Park Dr on
            the north side of the park has feeders up, and at least 5 HOFIs present,
            including at least two males. Also at the park today was a mixed flock of
            PEEPS, about 12 or so, mostly SEMIPALMATED but with one or two WESTERNS
            thrown in. Also had a SWALLOW-TAILED KITE at roof-buzzing height when we
            arrived!

            Directions: Take 363 (Woodville Hwy/Port Leon Dr) to its end in St. Marks.
            Turn right, as if you are going to San Marcos de Apalachee. Continue past
            the turn to the fort - this road becomes Yacht Lane - and turn right at the
            end of the road at the Yacht Club, onto City Park Dr. The park is
            immediately on the left.

            After this, we went to St. Marks NWR to see if we could scare up any
            warblers in the "Lighthouse Tree". Nada, zip, zero! Just a GNATCATCHER and a
            (heard-only) ORCHARD ORIOLE (note that the Orioles nested in this tree last
            year). However, Lighthouse Pool is half dry, and the shorebirds are loving
            it. BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED and WILSON'S PLOVERS; PEEPS galore, STILTS,
            WILLETS, DUNLINS...but the highlight of my day was the WHITE-RUMPED
            SANDPIPER in the "lighthouse corner" of the pool, a lifer!

            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2002

              Having the hummingbird feeder just outside the window by the computer has
              its advantages.

              A minute ago, I heard a familiar "whurr churrp-churrp, whurr churrp-churrp".
              I looked and saw Mr. Ruby-throat doing his courtship display. At this point
              I couldn't see the female.

              A moment after he left, Ms. Ruby-throat flew up to the feeder. She drank for
              a minute, then buzzed up and actually scratched the side of her head with
              her foot while she was hovering!

              After that, she tried to take another drink, but at this point The King
              returned and smacked her away! Then (perhaps realizing that it was Ms.
              Ruby-throat he had found, not "The Interloper" (Mr. Ruby-throat #2)), he
              proceeded to do a "condensed version" of the courtship display, constrained
              by the corner of the porch (!), while Ms. Ruby-throat hoverered over the
              salvias. After a moment they chased each other off...

              Life is never boring in the hummingbird's world!

              Message 6 of 12 , May 24, 2002

                Is there anyone who is banding Ruby-throated Hummingbirds this time of year?
                One of our males has suddenly aquired a yellow spot on his head, like he has
                been color-marked - or is it just pollen? (It looks a tad too uniform...)

                Thanks,
                -S.P.MacCumhail
                Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
              • Jack Dozier
                Message 7 of 12 , May 24, 2002
                  At 06:32 PM 5/24/02 -0400, Swamphen wrote:
                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >Is there anyone who is banding Ruby-throated Hummingbirds this time of year?
                  >One of our males has suddenly aquired a yellow spot on his head, like he has
                  >been color-marked - or is it just pollen? (It looks a tad too uniform...)

                  I would bet a nickel to a doughnut hole that it is pollen. I know of no
                  banding done in the State since late winter. Any "painted" marks made then
                  surely would not be so obvious now. I had one last week that had an
                  enormous amount.

                  Incidentally, during the recent cold front there was a decided influx of
                  Ruby-throats, particularly females. All here on Alligator Pt., between
                  19-21 May I counted (5) hummers at once in my yard, Bonnie Allen had (7) at
                  the same time, and the Murphy's, at least (4). Today I haven't seen one.

                  Jack Dozier
                  Alligator Pt., FL
                  jdozier@...