Oriole ID

  • Kathleen Carr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2010
      There¹s been a very pale oriole coming to our feeder today and I¹m wondering
      if it¹s a Bullock¹s. I¹ve put a photo on the photo page for this group, in
      the album titled Carr Birds. If someone could take a look at it and respond,
      I¹d be much obliged. If you¹d rather have it via email, contact me directly
      and I¹ll send it to you.

      -Kathleen

    • Beth W. Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2010
        How do I access the photos? When I go to the Yahoo page, the photo links are gray.
      • Fran Rutkovsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2010
          I think you need to have a Yahoo account to access the photos. I
          signed up for one just so I could look
          at the photos. I dont use it otherwise.

          -----

          Fran Rutkovsky
          franrutkovsky@...
          Tallahassee, FL
        • glendajoyce6009
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
            It appears the immature Baltimore Orioles I saw in my yard, yesterday, had an identity crisis and did not realize that they are actually Orchard Orioles. Fortunately, John Murphy set them straight. :) It had crossed my mind, and I studied both birds in my field guides before giving them the wrong ID. Since John, and now Fran R. were the only ones to question the ID, that makes me feel a bit better. I'm really trying to learn this stuff! These female birds and juveniles really do look alot alike. The picture of the two species at Cornell's All About Birds of their female Orchard, I think is a closer match to the picture I took. So, now I can add a new yard bird, to the list that I do not have, but intend to start :) Thanks John and Fran, and I will send a couple more pictures to John tonight to also compare.

            Glenda Simmons
            Eastside Tallahassee