Long tailed duck and Swallow Tail Kite

  • wmjphelan@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2010
      At St Marks NWR today:

      The second bird I saw was a Swallow Tail Kite flying over the double bridges on the Lighthouse Rd.

      Among the last birds seen was a female Long Tailed Duck--presumably the one that has been seen several times this winter in the picnic pond.  I saw her at the Lighthouse Pond, interacting with Ring Necked ducks--one male in particular, who was also relating to a female of his own species.  She was diving a lot more frequently than were the Ring Necks--a characteristic that has been noted before.

      Other birds of note include:

                N. Flicker, YB Sapsucker--behind the Rest Rooms

                2 female harriers apparently on a courting flight--circling high over Lighthouse Pond

                Ruddy, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Hooded Mergansers

      I also heard what I believe to be my FOS Hooded warblers--one voice in Scott's experimental burn areas behind the Visitor Center, the other in the wetland area near the Helispot.

      And I heard several white eyed vireos.

      Spring has sprung.

      Bill Phelan