Female Summer Tanager - Hilaman Golf Course

  • raybieber@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6 5:11 AM
      This is Sunny.  I was walking out this morning into my backyard to fill the serving dish with mealworms and noticed a female Summer Tanager feeding on my homemade suet.  I have seen both females and males in the summer but this is my first during the winter months.  Suet recipe follows:

      In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup white corn syrup, 1/3 c crisco and 1/3 c smooth peanut butter; heat on low to medium heat until all ingredients are melted.  Take off heat and add slowly while stirring, add 1/3 c + a bit of corn meal.  Let cool - it will harden - and serve up!  I have made a suet feeder by using a 2-2 1/2 inch log and drilled holes in it about 1 inch in diameter for the suet, put a hook in the top of the log and hung from a squirrel and racoon proof pole with baffle.  I put peanuts, raisins, peacan and walnuts on the top of the baffle.  Works great!  Happy feeding.