Purple Martins in Tallahassee

  • swamphen@heirborn.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
      Had my first of spring Purple Martins, two of them, among the Tree
      Swallows on a positively frigid late afternoon on Lake Lafayette
      (Lafayette Heritage Trail Park).

      -Sean P. McCool
      Wakulla County, Florida, USA
    • swamphen@heirborn.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3 5:00 PM
        Early this afternoon at Alligator Point I found an interesting group
        of sparrows in an overgrown lot at the intersection of Alligator Drive
        and Clemen Street, containing four Vesper Sparrows and a single Lark
        Sparrow.

        Earlier at Bald Point it was the Day of the Dunlin, however a lone
        Piping Plover was notable.

        At dusk this evening the blue-morph Snow Goose and two Greater
        White-fronted Geese were still present with the 100 Canada Geese in
        the fields on the east side of Biltmore Drive in Southwood.

        - Sean P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA
      • swamphen@heirborn.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5 10:56 AM
          A foggy, rainy 30 minutes at Shell Point this morning turned up a nice
          crop of shorebirds.

          Location: Shell Point
          Observation date: 2/5/10
          Number of species: 24

          Redhead 9
          Lesser Scaup 19
          Bufflehead 18
          duck sp. 13
          Common Loon 4
          Brown Pelican 2
          Double-crested Cormorant 6
          Wilson's Plover 1
          Semipalmated Plover 4 Minimum count
          Killdeer 1
          Willet 37
          Ruddy Turnstone 25 Minimum count
          Sanderling 6 Minimum count
          Western Sandpiper 2
          Least Sandpiper 3
          Dunlin 51 Minimum count
          Short-billed Dowitcher 19
          Laughing Gull 6
          Ring-billed Gull 2
          Forster's Tern 1
          Eurasian Collared-Dove 7
          Mourning Dove 1
          European Starling 14
          Palm Warbler 8
          Boat-tailed Grackle 3

          -Sean P. McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA
        • Vincent Lucas
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5 1:21 PM
            Is this Shell Point on the way to Sanibel? You really need to specify
            where exactly this place is i.e. the county/town, etc.

            Vince Lucas
            Naples, FL

          • swamphen@heirborn.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10 5:36 PM

              Went to a few places in Tallahassee today in search of birds. And,
              found some. Specifically, I didn't find the Gadwall at Lake Killearn,
              but did find a feeding mob of 93 cormorants, 28 Great Egrets, 2 Great
              Blue Herons, 2 Ospreys, and the hightlight, 9 Wood Storks.

              Earlier at Southwood's Biltmore Road fields and ponds, the blue-morph
              Snow Goose and two Greater White-fronted Geese were still present
              among the Canadas, and a bonus bird in the northern pasture pond
              (which is the "middle pond", technically, as the North Pond per eBird
              is the one on the west side in the overgrown fields, but I digress...)
              was a lone Dowitcher, that looked very good for a Long-billed.

              And earlier still, my first stop of the day had been at the Tram Road
              sewage facility (Southeast Farm), where the highlights of the day were
              two female Common Goldeneye, a White-winged Dove, and nine American
              Pipits. Along with a Sharp-shinned Hawk that flew directly at me over
              one of the ponds for a minute, very cool...

              -Sean P. McCool
              Wakulla County, Florida, USA
            • swamphen@heirborn.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10 5:38 PM
                Meant to append my eBird checklist for Southeast Farm to my original
                post but forgot, so, here it is.

                Location: Southeast Farm (Tallahassee)
                Observation date: 2/10/10 (45 minutes)
                Number of species: 21

                Northern Shoveler 31
                Redhead 2
                Lesser Scaup 34
                Bufflehead 32
                Common Goldeneye 2
                Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
                Killdeer 1
                Least Sandpiper 27
                Rock Pigeon 14
                White-winged Dove 1
                Mourning Dove 30
                Blue Jay 2
                American Crow 3
                Tree Swallow 1
                Northern Mockingbird 3
                European Starling 3
                American Pipit 9
                Cedar Waxwing 70
                Yellow-rumped Warbler 6
                Palm Warbler (Western) 1
                Palm Warbler (Yellow) 2
                Savannah Sparrow 2

                -Sean P. McCool
                Wakulla County, Florida, USA

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 19 9:56 AM
                  I notice on the Great Backyard Bird Count results for Tallahassee that
                  both Black-chinned and Rufous hummingbirds were reported. Does anybody
                  know if any of these hummers (or any other non-Rubythroats) are still
                  around and possibly available for viewing?

                  Thanks!
                  -Sean P. McCool
                  Wakulla County, Florida, USA