St. Marks NWR-Saturday

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
      I quick scouting trip in advance of next Saturday's regular Wildlife Tours produced the following.

      East River Pool
      Ring-necked Duck
      Ruddy Duck

      Mounds Pool III
      Hooded Merganser
      Green-winged Teal
      Blue winged Teal
      American Wigeon
      Gadwall
      Mallard
      Pintail
      Shoveler
      Bufflehead
      Black-necked Stilt
      White Pelican
      White-faced Ibis
      Cave Swallow (three, juvenile and adult)

      Lighthouse Pond
      American Wigeon
      Redhead
      Gadwall

      Offshore
      Lesser Scaup
      Common Goldeneye
      Bufflehead
      Red-breasted Merganser
      Horned Grebe

      If you spend the day at the refuge, you should be able to tally up to 100 species with any reasonable luck. To sign up for the January wildlife tour (9am and 1pm on January 9th) call the refuge at 850.925.6121

    • Don Morrow
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2013
        The December wildlife tour at the refuge took place on an inauspicious day with a prediction of 100% chance of rain. The morning tour was fine. It began to drizzle at noon and developed into a light rain. We cut the afternoon tour short at 3:30 pm, just before a major storm moved in with heavy rain and lightning. Despite this, the birding was great. I logged 85 species including Vermillion Flycatcher and 17 species of waterfowl. Some highlights were:

        Stony Bayou I (loaded with shorebirds, pelicans and gulls)
        Horned Grebe
        White Pelican (perhaps 100 birds)
        Brown Pelican ( a single bird)
        Snow Goose (single blue phase bird)
        Bufflehead
        Hooded Merganser
        Red-breasted Merganser
        Black-bellied Plover
        Semipalmated Plover
        American Avocet
        Greater Yellowlegs
        Lesser yellowlegs
        Willet
        Ruddy Turnstone
        Western Sandpiper
        Dunlin
        Short-billed Dowitcher
        Laughing Gull
        Ring-billed Gull
        Herring Gull
        Caspian tern
        Royal Tern
        Forster's Tern

        Stony Bayou II (best birding is along the Southern dike)
        American Bittern (several)
        Black-crowned Night-heron
        Yellow-crowned Night-heron
        Wood Stork
        Snow Goose ( the same one that was on SBI)
        Green-winged Teal
        American Black Duck (single bird associating with Mallards)
        Mallard
        Blue-winged Teal
        Ring-necked Duck
        Greater Scaup
        Lesser Scaup
        Bufflehead
        Merlin (helpfully pointed out by the St Marks Christmas Count team)
        Vermillion Flycatcher (male, seen on both tours, hawking in the pond at the usual spot about halfway down the Southern dike)

        Mounds Pool III (all at the Northern end, easily accessible from the road by the T-dike)
        Green-winged Teal
        Mallard
        Northern Pintail
        Northern Shoveler
        American Wigeon
        Canvasback
        Redhead
        Bufflehead
        Ruddy Duck
        Black-necked Stilt

        It's a great refuge. Even on a rainy day.

        Good birding.

      • Don Morrow
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2014
          The December Wildlife Tours at St. Marks NWR took place on a cool but pleasant day. I logged a total of 96 species during the day (107 for the weekend at the refuge). Preparing for the Christmas Count season, I counted 390 Wood Ducks coming in to roost.

          In addition to the birds previously noted on my Friday recon report there was a White-winged Dove at the Tower Pond trailhead parking lot and a Purple Gallinule on Headquarters Pond. The Vermillion Flycatcher was seen briefly South of the Handicapped Fishing Pier by one member of the morning tour and back at the Double Dikes by all of the afternoon group .

          Good birding.