Another birding spot in Tallahassee - A Gail Menk Posting

  • Marvin Collins
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
      On November 10th Elizabeth Platt and I visited a park at the intersection of northwest Tallahassee's Trimble and Pecan Roads, which is being groomed by the county and should prove to be a handy retreat for nature lovers. Two retention ponds there are surrounded by a variety of bird-friendly shade trees, and the park extends into a sheltered area, which currently is home to two black-legged foxes. There naturalist Matt Morris and his students from nearby Cornerstone Learning Community have planted two dozen or more long-leaf pine saplings, which at last report are thriving.

      Since mid-March I have listed five wading birds in the ponds, and on April 16 I also listed four solitary sandpipers. A good number of songbirds have frequented the park since November. Elizabeth and I agree that it is a good place to get away "from the madding crowd."

      Enjoy, Fellow Birders!

      Gail E. Menk

    • swamphen@heirborn.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
        Heard my first Mississippi Kite of the year at the library here in
        Wakulla County about 10 minutes ago.

        -Sean P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA