New Yard Birds

  • ShelleyCarpenter
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2009
      This afternoon, shortly after the rain passed, I had 3 white-winged doves gorging themselves on sunflower seeds at the platform feeders (they sure don't peck like mourning doves, they gulp) and at least 2 eastern phoebes. The phoebes were taking turns sitting on the bird bath but not bathing.

      I have not had either of these in the yard before.

      Crawfordville - close to Wal-Mart.

      Shelley

    • swamphen@heirborn.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        Just after I clicked 'send' on my last message, I heard a familar
        cheep outside my open window on this chilly morning, and looked out to
        see the first Chipping Sparrow of the season atop the birdfeeder.

        -Sean P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA
      • swamphen@heirborn.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
          Had a White-winged Dove at the boat ramp at Mashes Sands County Park
          on Ochlockonee Bay this morning. Also swarms of swallows - estimated a
          75-to-1 ratio Tree:Barn, with at least one Cliff Swallow in the mix.

          -Sean P. McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA