St. Marks NWR Big Sit! Oct 11 2009

  • markkiser9
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2009
      From 7 AM to 1:30 PM we participated in the Big Sit! at St. Marks NWR, atop the observatin platform right by the lighthouse. It was more like summer than fall.
      Shorebirds and ducks were scarce, the marsh on the east side of the lighthouse was quite dry.

      Afterwards we did find 8 American Avocets and 2 Black-necked Stilts at Stoney Bayou 1.

      Below is our count list, a bit disappointing, but still fun.

      Happy Trails,

      Mark and Selena Kiser
      Tallahassee
      batboxblues AT netscape.net

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Great Bl ue Heron Ardea herodias
      Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea
      Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens
      Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
      White Ibis Eudocimus albus
      Wood Stork Mycteria americana
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      Bald Eagle Haliaeetus leucocephalus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris
      Common Moorhen Gallinula chloropus
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres
      Dunlin Calidris alpina
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Short-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus griseus
      Laughing Gull Larus atricilla
      Sandwich Tern Sterna sandvicensis
      Royal Tern Sterna maxima
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Black Skimmer Rynchops niger
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
      Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Brown Thrasher Toxostoma rufum
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Eastern Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus
      Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow Ammodramus nelsoni
      Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
      Boat-tailed Grackle Quiscalus major