Re: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] interesting hummer behavior

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      At 10:46 PM 4/28/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Floridabirders,
      >
      >About 3 years ago, I had a female ruby throat buzz my front porch light
      >every night around 9 p.m. (after dark). The hummer was catching midges and
      >other small flying insects. This activity lasted for several weeks.
      >
      >Now I have a male ruby throat buzzing the same light before 6 in the morning
      >and at times in the evening after dark. My presence doesn't seem to bother
      >it as it flies within a foot of my head.
      >
      >Has anyone experienced this type of behavior?

      Neat observation. I remember your mentioning this a couple of years
      ago. No, I have not seen this in RTHUs, but I have seen Barn Swallows
      flying about shopping centers, filling stations, and the like at
      night. Also House Sparrows feeding in these same conditions. Years ago in
      my other life, I watched shrikes feeding under the lights at Little League
      baseball games. Since I saw your report a few years ago I have watched
      diligently for hummers at my home at night (feeders well lit), but to
      avail. I wonder if your bird is the same individual you had before. Very
      interesting, Jack.

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jdozier@...