Burrowing Owls

  • David Dees
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
      On the way home from Gainesville today my wife called me terribly excited.
      She spotted a pair of Burrowing Owls ~ 2 miles from our home.
      We live in rural Lafayette County...the closest city being the town of
      Mayo.
      Mayo is located on US 27 ~ half way between Gainesville and Tallahassee.
      If anyone is interested in direction please feel free to email me.

      David Dees
      Network Manager
      Suwannee County Schools
      david@...
    • NANCY LANG
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
        I went to see the Burrowing Owls near Mayo this past weekend. On Friday (7/5) I saw the two adults but no babies. On Sunday (7/7) all owls were absent. A passerby said he'd been watching the owls, too, and he thought they had abandoned the nest on 7/6. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

      • David Dees
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2003
          Greetings from Lafayette County.
          Some of you may remember last year we had a nesting pair of Burrowing Owls
          in Lafayette County. My sister just informed me she spotted one at the
          very same spot this afternoon. Unfortunately I won't be able to check on
          them until Friday, but will keep you posted. I have my camera back in
          working order so hopefully will get some nice shots!

          David Dees
          Network Manager
          Suwannee County Schools
          Live Oak, FL
          david@...
        • David Dees
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2003
            I finally had a chance to check on the Burrowing Owls today. No sign of
            them. I will have to mount an intensive search this week and will keep
            everyone posted.

            David Dees
            Network Manager
            Suwannee County Schools
            Live Oak, FL
            david@...
          • Swamphen
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2003
              Hi all,

              While re-filling the birdfeeders this morning (the raccoons are getting on
              my nerves), I heard my first-of-the-season SWAINSON'S WARBLER singing (as
              usual) deep in the Back 40.

              At Mash Island County Park in Ochlockonee Bay this aftenoon, I spied an
              EASTERN KINGBIRD, another FOTS.

              -S.P.McCool
              Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
              http://www.swamphen.net/
            • David Dees
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2003
                I'm afraid we may have lost our pair of Burrowing Owls here in Lafayette
                County. I haven't seen them for almost a week. On the way home today I
                moved in for a closer look and spotted quite a few feathers and possibly
                some remains ~ three feet from the entrance to the burrow. The dirt at
                entrance to the burrow had been smoothed over by rain three days ago and
                there are no signs of any disturbance of the soil. I'm just glad to have
                had the opportunity to have them around the last few years.

                David Dees
                Network Manager
                Suwannee County Schools
                Live Oak, FL
                david@...
              • Melissa Forehand
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 15, 2007
                  Me & a friend went camping at Topsail Preserve this weekend and Nonie
                  was kind enough to get me in contact with Lenny who monitors the
                  Burrowing Owls on Eglin Airforce Base.On Sat driving out to the owls we
                  passed by several loggerhead shrikes sitting 5 ft from the car, 2
                  vesper's sparrows, phebee, kildeer, y. b. sapsucker and then the owls
                  most of the views were of the bird flushing and flying away from us but
                  twice we got amazing views of the owls watching us with these bright
                  yellow eyes. On leaving this area we got great view of a meadowlark, got
                  to see several kestrels, savannah sparrows, heard a brown headed nuthatch.
                  Sun I birded Topsail Preserve
                  *_Beach:_*
                  B. pelicans
                  laughing gulls
                  sanderlings
                  ringbill gulls
                  forsters terns
                  osprey
                  herring gull
                  bonoparte gulls
                  and these 2 tree swallows were catching insects very close to me, so I
                  had a wonderful time watching them work the sky for insects

                  *_Woods:
                  _*song sparrow
                  y. b. sapsucker
                  R. B. woodpecker
                  downy woodpecker
                  G. B. heron
                  phebee
                  robins
                  bluebird
                  chickadee
                  lots of pine warblers
                  B. H. Nuthatch who was kind enough to let me take some video of him
                  R. C kinglet

                  Melissa Forehand
                  Happy Birding
                  Tallahassee Florida