St George Is SP/Saturday

  • John Murphy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
      A morning visit to the youth camp at St George Is SP produced my most significant migrant activity so far this fall. While there wasn't an abundance of species, I did manage to pick up a couple of nice warblers - an adult male Wilson's and an adult female Canada.

      Sharp-shinned hawk - 2
      Peregrine falcon
      Y-B cuckoo
      Chuck-will's-widow
      E wood-pewee - 2
      E kingbird - 10
      W kingbird
      Swainson's thrush - 25
      Gray catbird - 6
      R-E vireo - 2
      Tennessee warbler - 2
      N parula
      Y-T warbler
      Prairie warbler - 4
      B&W warbler
      Am redstart - 3
      Worm-eating warbler
      Wilson's warbler
      Canada warbler
      Scarlet tanager - 2
      Baltimore oriole

      John Murphy
      Alligator Pt, FL

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
        Those of you with the flexibility to take a day off should be aware that the best 2-3 birding days of the migration are coming up. Any cool front that moves through the Tallahassee area will bring with it loads of fall migrants songbirds (etc.) that's a spectacle to behold. Only go on the first day of the front; by the second day the vast majority (except, curiously, the cuckoos) will be long gone. You'll see circum-Gulf ("peninsular") migrants flying east, like Palms, and trans-Gulf migrants feeding in the trees. Anywhere on the coast can be good, but St. George is the best.

        Good luck!

        Jim
        Galveston, TX

      • swamphen@heirborn.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
          Apologies for the late report. Walked at A.J. Henry Park in
          Tallahassee Sunday afternoon and found a nice mixed flock at the creek
          crossing.

          It included:
          Empodinax flycatcher (probably Yellow-bellied)
          Blue-winged Warbler
          Northern Parula
          Worm-eating Warbler
          American Redstart

          -Sean P. McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA
        • John Murphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2010
            There was a bit of activity at the youth camp this morning with the following highlights...

            Yellow-bellied flycatcher, 1 (very cooperative; bulbous head, broad eye-ring, olive upperparts, yellow below w/yellow throat; called several times)

            House wren, 1

            Tennessee warbler, 2

            Magnolia warbler, 1

            Palm warbler, 2

            Scarlet tanager, 2

            Back at home, my Am. beautyberry was being enjoyed by:

            Veery, 1

            Swainson's thrush, 1

            Wood thrush, 1

            Gray catbird, 2

            Prothonotary warbler, 1

            John Murphy

            Alligator Pt, FL

          • John Murphy
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 25, 2010
              I met up with Jim Cavanagh and Chris Borg at the youth camp this morning where migrant activity was fairly steady (14 warbler sp, 3 thrush sp).  Best bird by far was an unexpected BLACK-WHISKERED VIREO...clean, black malar stripe; large bill; border between the gray cap and face was less well defined than REVI.

              Other highlights:

              Eastern phoebe

              Black-throated green warbler

              Wilson's warbler (male, first fall(?))

              Rose-breasted grosbeak

              John Murphy

              Alligator Pt, FL

            • John Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2011
                There was a good bit of activity but little diversity this morning at the St George Is State Park youth camp.  Best sightings were BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER and ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER.

                Poor, but identifiable photos posted on Yahoo/NFLbirds.

                John Murphy

                Alligator Pt, FL

              • John Murphy
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2014
                  Jim Cavanagh, Steve Mullin, Steve Jones, Bob Kornegay & I birded St George Is State Park today, and while the numbers weren't quite as good as on Tuesday, there was still plenty of migrant activity. In addition to 24 warbler species and abundant buntings, grosbeaks, tanagers & cuckoos, we found an ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER and a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO.

                  John Murphy
                  Alligator Pt, FL
                • John Murphy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2016
                    The heavy rain overnight and the eventual shift of winds to the NW gave hope that there'd be a bit of migrant activity at St George Island State Park (Franklin Co). While it wasn't "jaw-dropping", there was a decent number of birds & diversity of species, especially considering it's still nearly two weeks before our prime migration window.

                    Following is an abbreviated species list:

                    Swallow-tailed kite (20+)
                    Solitary sandpiper (5)
                    Yellow-billed cuckoo (6)
                    Eastern kingbird (40+)
                    Yellow-throated vireo (4)
                    Red-eyed vireo (20)
                    warbler species - 15; highlights were Worm-eating (1); Blue-winged (1); Cape May (1)
                    Summer tanager (8)
                    Scarlet tanager (3)
                    Blue grosbeak (1)
                    Indigo bunting (10)