Tuesday Morning at Piney Z

  • Edwwjr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Carolyn Smith and I birded Heritage Park at Piney Z Tuesday morning from
      roughly 9:30 until 11:00 AM.

      We walked out the finger to the left of the parking lot and found a nice
      mixed flock working the trees overhanging the water. The flock included at
      least 4 yellow and 2 prairie warblers, chickadee, blue-gray gnatcatcher,
      cardinal, titmouse, white-eyed vireo and a ruby-throated hummingbird.

      On the island between that finger and the next finger to the right, we had
      a least flycatcher.

      Other species:

      turkey vulture
      blue jay
      kingfisher
      anhinga
      white ibis
      green heron
      little blue heron
      great blue heron
      great egret
      American crow
      boat-tailed grackle
      moorhen
      red-shouldered hawk
      double crested cormorant
      red-winged blackbird
      Carolina wren
      brown thrasher
      mockingbird

      I made a quick pass through Southwood Plantation and found 2 loggerhead
      shrikes but no kingbirds along the farm fence line.

      Ed Woodruff