spoonbill Panacea

  • Candy and Michael Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2009
      This Sunday morning on the way to fish at the end of Bottoms Road, I
      passed by large numbers of egrets and a couple of wood storks feeding on
      the side of the road on the rising tide. With them, a lone roseate
      spoonbill. At noon, the feeding was over, but I did see an immature
      yellow crowned night heron.

      Michael Hill

    • Judy Cooke
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2009
        I was out to Bottoms Road on Friday afternoon and was lucky enough to see 3 Spoonbilles and 7 Wood Storks. My list also included all the ususals, including 2 Bald Eagles, 5 Osprey - all in my line of vision at one time, Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Tr-Colored Herons and one Little Blue Heron and Green Heron. It was rather windy at that time and there was an absence of small birds, but I did see one Black-Bellied Plover, a couple of Rails, Willets and a lone RW Blackbird.

        Also a real thrill was to see a mama dolphin slapping the water with her tail to feed the young one beside her! It was very cool! She would slap her tail, little fish would jump out all over the place and then they would feed...then she'd do it again! Just plain cool!

        Went back later that evening and counted 6 juvenile Night Herons. Pretty sure that at least 4 of them were Black-Crowned - not sure about the last two. Also spotted one Eastern Kingbird and a little yellow thing flew in front of me - too quick for me to ID.

        And...my Pine Warbler has returned to my back yard. Gone since spring, pretty sure this is the same little guy as before - sitting in his favorite spot by the peanut butter.

        Good to see the Spoonbills and WoodStorks back at Bottoms Road....hey...I think I'll go there now!

        Judy-Panacea

        To: nflbirds@yahoogroups.com