Roseate Spoonbill in Tallahassee

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2009
      At 10:30AM, I was about to turn south on Capital Circle NE from the John
      Deere dealership when I saw a Wood Stork and a smaller bird circling over
      the retention pond north of the armory and railroad tracks. The smaller bird
      was clearly showing pink, so I turned north instead. The bird was a Roseate
      Spoonbill! With much wetter conditions, it is possible that there may be
      more scattered about Leon County. I would recommend checking these ponds
      between Capital Circle NE and Weems road and the large retention pond on
      Blairstone Road near Phillips Rd. The latter pond is very full and has been
      hosting a much larger population of waders than normal.

      Never not birding,

      Rob Lengacher