Identify hawk/kite?

  • mulberry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009
      Heard and seen in East Hill area of Pensacola over the past
      couple of weeks. Usually hear them before spotting them. Two birds,
      smaller than osprey, about size of hawk. Circles like them; have only
      seen perched in very tall longleaf pines and another similar tree (very high).
      Birds are shades of gray - small, light colored head and breast, darker
      gray wings & back; no mottling/bars/stripes noted. At least one of
      the birds has a noticeable patch of white on the back when roosting. Watched
      one approach the other, walking along branch with wings held out from body
      slightly ~ profile reminded me of a parrot (have photo). Photos in flight
      are not representative of true colors (shadows). Have some photos ~
      roosting, preening, flying, but not a great quality. I don't consider myself a birder,
      but like to be able to identify local birds. I've lived in this house 19
      years and don't recall seeing or hearing these birds before now. I have also spotted one at north edge of airport in residential area, possibly the same bird spotted by someone else in Spanish Trail/Summit/Scenic Hwy area. Help, please? I'll be traveling for a few days, but will check email within a week. Thanks!
      ~ Rena