Swallow-tailed Kite & Bluebird Nesting Behavior

  • glendajoyce6009
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 10:39 PM
      I have been seeing a Swallow-tailed Kite soaring overhead in my Buck Lake neighborhood the past couple of days. Yesterday, it flew over my yard, as low as I have ever seen one. I've never been closer to one. Today, I got a couple of distant pictures, which I just posted. It had lunch to go. When I zoomed in as close as I could, on my monitor, I was able to see a fledgling with a chunk of nest attached, in it's talons. I could not see clear enough to ID its catch, but it looked large to me, and I'm hoping it was a crow. In the second picture, you can at least see the kite's head going down and it's feet pulling up to eat.

      I've had some different nesting behavior with my resident Bluebirds. Mr. Casonova has two females! The females are both on their second broods. In my front yard, Mom is incuabating 4 eggs, while in one of the back yard nesting boxes, there are 4 nestlings almost two weeks old, being tended to by a different female and the same male. It has been entertaining to watch the male feed the nestlings, then blast off to the front to escort and guard that female while she laid her eggs, or to feed her. He is one busy bird! He has at least staggered the four nests, so far, to not have nestlings in both boxes at the same time. As many mealworms, as I put out for them, it probably would not be a problem! I did add another box, so the females have several to choose from.

      I monitor these birds very closely, feeding them, daily and am quite certain that the females are siblings, and that they are also the off spring of the male from last season. His mate of four years, has not been seen since Jan. At that time, I was feeding the family of four, everyday. I have a Bluebird soap opra going on in my yard!

      Glenda Simmons
      Eastside Tallahassee