Strange markings on Egret

  • judy cooke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2009
      Was out at Bald Point today and saw a strangely marked Egret.  I did not have my camera with me, but there was another person with - who, although not a avid birdwatcher, knew this egret was different from the ones commonly seen around here.
      It
       was flying with a Snowy Egret - and was identical to the Snowy with the the exception on a black stripe on it's wings.  The black stripe looked to be where the primaries meet the secondaries running from the front of the wing to the back - about 4-5 inches wide.  The bird flew over us repeatedly and neither one of us have ever seen an egret like this.

      I have gone though my bird books several times and have not been able to come up with anything.  Was it possibly a juvenile?  Any help would be really appreciated.

      Judy
      Panacea