Of Swallows and Ducks

  • Sean McCool
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      While inspecting a swarm (200+) of Tree Swallows at the lake off of Shannon
      Lakes Drive in Killearn yesterday, my first-of-season BARN SWALLOW zipped
      past in the flock. Also present was a single Northern Rough-winged Swallow
      and about six Purple Martins...and also a duck which I believe may have been
      a MALLARD X MOTTLED ("Muddled") DUCK. It had a "racing stripe" of green on
      its head but otherwise was female-Mallard/Mottled in appearance.

      Two more Barn Swallows were at the "Beaver Pond" on Maryland Circle by the
      Coca-Cola plant in northwest Tallahassee.

      -Sean P. McCool
      Wakulla County, Florida, USA.
    • austrina1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
        There was a flock of 20-25 barn swallows foraging at Central Park Lake in Southwood yesterday.? A NRW swallow was present there as well.? At 9:50 am I saw two sandhill cranes at the federal prison (standing in the rain).? That's the first time that I've seen sandhill cranes in Leon County that weren't a fly over.? The cranes were not present at 1 pm when I went by the prison again.? There were 6 eastern kingbirds and 1 eastern phoebe still hanging around.? I'm amazed every year at how fast the transition from winter to spring birds occurs.

        ?

        For those needing redhead ducks for their Leon County month list, there are still 5 hanging in the Canopy Oaks Elem. holding pond.? There have been up to 41 redhead ducks in the pond from November until now.? The numbers have been lower lately and I haven't seen the "missing" birds on nearby Lake Jackson, as is often the case.? I had one bird calling that sounded like a Tennessee warbler.? There have been a couple of pine siskins calling from the large?ravine behind the new Wal-Mart on Monroe.

        ?

        Rodney Cassidy

        Tallahassee, Florida?

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
          Yesterday morning during a few-hour lull in the storms three First Of Spring
          birds were nabbed at the ol' home place: Hooded Warbler, Blue Grosbeak and
          Indigo Bunting. Great to see those flashes of blue once again!

          Beautiful out there this morning, no FOS birds yet but great looks at a Broad-
          winged Hawk and wonderful listening to the Red-eyed Vireos, Prairie Warblers,
          parulas, and the rest of the chorus.

          -Sean P. McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA