Bald Point State Park shorebird and crab bonanza 3-14-09

  • markkiser9
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2009
      Headed over to Bald Point State Park today in the hopes that the horseshoe crabs would be mating at high tide. We were not disappointed, as between 1 PM and 5:30 PM there were at least 225 mating pairs/groups, and the shorebirds were on hand as well.

      Some highlights:

      Red Knot--8
      Piping Plover--2
      Semipalm Plover--15
      B.b. Plover--2
      Dunlin--100+
      Sanderling--100+
      Amer. Oysteracther--5
      Black Skimmer-60+
      S.b. Dowitcher--5
      Willet
      Least Sandpiper
      Ruddy Turnstone
      Forster's, Caspian, and Royal Terns

      Also present: N. Harrier, White-throated, Savannah and Song Sparrows,
      Barn Swallow (FOS), Sora, Bufflehead

      Happy trails,

      Mark and Selena Kiser
      Tallahassee