Masked Duck and Harris Sparrow

  • Melissa Forehand
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      Yesterday Sat 1-31-09, Tracee, Marvin and me headed out of Tally.
      At Paynes Prairie we quickly ran into some people had just seen the Harris.
      We hang out and shortly the Harris joined a group of 7 white crowned
      sparrows hanging out in one tree.
      Also we saw
      a kettle of over 100 sandhill cranes flying overhead and over 500 on the
      ground
      sedge wren
      wilsons snipe
      a kestrel
      r t hawk
      r s hawk
      n shoveler
      b w teal
      great views of american bitterns
      coots

      Then we drove to Lake City and Aligator Lake. My directions were lacking and
      we were having a hard time finding the park and it was getting late (after
      3pm) luckily Andy W and Chris B came to the rescue and told us were to go
      (to find the duck)
      We got there I ran into old friends from Audubon, Loye and Barnie. Dean and
      Sally and friends from Atl who I meet at a bird festival 2
      years ago.
      We hauled butt to the hankerchief and started looking for the bird which we
      found got to watch for about 15 min and then we had to haul butt back to the
      parking lot so we could get out before the gate closed at 5:30pm.
      Also seen
      b g gnatcatcher
      r c kinglet
      w pelican
      coots
      ring necked ducks
      osprey
      and an ostrich

      Thanks to everyone.
      Tracee and Marvin feel free to add anything I might have left out.

      Melissa Forehand