Two Hundred (Miss. Kite)

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11 8:10 AM

      I just saw my 200th bird of the year - a Mississippi Kite, just up the road
      from our place.

      This is a month and a day earlier than last year, when #200 was a
      Connecticut Warbler at Ft. DeSoto on 12 May (Herman was #198).

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • southmoonunder@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25, 2004
        Yesterday afternoon, Jack Dozier & I birded Phipps Pt (Nature Conservancy
        preserve at end of Alligator Pt) where we found 2 Piping Plovers (neither
        appeared to be banded) and 2 Common Terns. Also saw a flock of appx. 30 House
        Finches, all female/juvenile.

        Earlier in the day, I heard 1 Chuck-will's-widow singing (this is the first
        I've heard in at least 2 weeks), a male Blue Grosbeak (singing) at Bald Pt.,
        and 4 groups of 20 or more Blue-gray Gnatcatchers crossing over Ochlocknee Bay,
        apparently migrating down the coast. Prairie Warbler numbers have increased
        steadily over the last couple of weeks.

        John Murphy
        Alligator Pt, FL
      • southmoonunder@mchsi.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
          Yesterday's good birding went the way of FSU's football team. Not much diversity this morning at Bald Pt, though the numbers of Palm warblers remained high.

          This afternoon I noticed a lot of activity at the Heron Walk subdivision (Alligator Drive). Gray catbirds were actively feeding on Poke berries (at least, that's what I've always called them...red stalks, deep purple berries). They were soon joined by a Swainson's thrush, Baltimore oriole, and a very handsome adult Scissor-tailed flycatcher.

          John Murphy
          Alligator Pt, FL

        • speedyg
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
            Heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch calling from one of the large oaks on the ol'
            home place this afternoon.

            At the Lake Munson Dam finally saw the elusive Leon Limpkin, along with
            Chestnut-sided Warbler, Parula, and my first of fall Black-and-white Warbler.

            -S.P. McCool
            Wakulla County, Florida, USA
          • southmoonunder@mchsi.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5 2:19 PM
              Less than ideal birding weather today, but I did manage to stumble across a few first-of-season (for Allig Pt area) birds...

              Peregrine falcon (Bald Pt St Pk)
              Gull-billed tern (yard)
              Sandwich tern (Allig Pt)
              Least tern (Bald Pt St Pk)
              Blk-necked stilt (yard)
              Indigo bunting (ad male; yard)

              John Murphy
              Alligator Pt, FL

            • John Murphy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2010
                This morning as I was filling my feeders in the pre-dawn, I had a Whip-poor-will singing nearby.  On Saturday I saw a Kentucky warbler in a residential area of Bald Pt.  Both were first-of-season birds for me.

                John Murphy

                Alligator Pt, FL