What attracts Rufous hummingbirds?

  • mmarmstrong112024
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2008
      I'm not sure anyone knows what attacts winter Hummers:

      Right now I have a Male Ruby, Female Black Chinned, and a Female Ruby. I
      have had many many winter hummers over the past six or seven years mostly
      first time birds the first time I noticed them
      was thanksgiving when we left a feeder out for chikadees and noticed a
      brown Hummingbird. A check of the internet told us it was a Rufous and Fred
      Bassett propmptly showed up afer an email.

      Fred once said he thought a yard busy with other birds was inviting.

      My yard is one of the most productive yards in Tally (Indian Head Acres)
      providing Fred with an average of six birds per year. Mostly Female Rufos
      followed by Rubys and I've had 2 Allens, 2 Black Chinned over the years.

      I have Turks Caps and Pineapple Sage in bloom now but most years I had not
      hummer plants out.

      My wife complained last winter that we were overrun by Rubys and Fred
      scolded her and said most people would kill to have any type of winter
      hummer..

      So who knows why winter hummers visit one place and not another. I am just
      lucky to have lots of visitors,.

      John Armstrong