Buff-bellied & Bluebird Fight

  • glendajoyce6009
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008
      After being banded early Sat. am 10-31, I did not see the Buff-
      bellied again until this morning. (Sun.11-2) I guess he finally got
      his tail-feathers unruffled from his human encounter, to give it
      another try; but appears to be quite skittish, perhaps has not
      completely forgotten, yet.

      Yesterday, I saw my first chipping sparrows in my yard, 6-8 of them,
      and today my first female Pine Warbler of the season. Also seeing a
      Ruby-crowned kinglet, more frequently, which I have not in past
      years, and an abundance of the normal yard birds. Last week, I saw
      my first ever in my yard, Flicker. I think this is going to be a
      good winter!
      But, unfortunately, also starting to get high counts of Cowbirds, Red-
      winged Blackbirds and Grackles.

      Yesterday, I also witnessed my resident male Bluebird, aggressively
      defending his territory from a roaming gypsy flock of Bluebirds. I
      watched them tangle and fight from mid-air, falling to the ground
      like a downed helicopter, resuming the brawl on the ground. About 30
      minutes later, I was happy to see my resident Bluebird back for his
      mealworm dinner, with no apparent battle scars.

      Glenda Simmons
      Eastside Tallahassee