Sandhill Cranes Wintering Grounds

  • adkarcadia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      Hello Birding Friends,
      I've been enjoying your postings as I prepare for my husband, myself
      and our two
      small canine friends to be in the Port St. Joe area for the month
      of Feb. for hopefully, our first of many winter stays there. Our
      winters are 5-6 months long and we can have several weeks where the
      temp. doesn't go above zero. I look forward to, hopefully, meeting
      some of you while in Fl.
      I live on Lake Champlain in the NY Adirondack Mtns. and also am
      subscribed to the northern NY and
      VT birding lists. This question was posted on the VT. list today and
      I thought someone on the NFLBirds list might be able to enlighten the
      folks up here. It's been exciting having this family of cranes in Vt.
      I didn't get to see them but others have enjoyed observing them. I've
      inserted the posting with the question below. Thanks in advance for
      any thoughts on the Cranes
      Happy Birdin'
      Laura Smith
      Willsboro NY

      This was the question posted on VTBird

      Barbara Miles to VTBIRD
      show details 7:19 PM (20 minutes ago)

      I wonder if anyone knows where the sandhill cranes that are at
      Bristol Pond are likely to be spending the winter? I have visited
      wintering grounds in New Mexico (Bosque del Apache -- a wonderful
      sanctuary) but imagine that these cranes winter somewhere in the
      east. Any guesses?

      I saw them this afternoon around 3:30 near the Monkton Road south of
      the pond access road. They haven't left yet, but I imagine it won't
      be too long....

      Barbara Miles,
      Bristol