Re: Lake Lafayette Heritage Trail Park Sunday 8-31-08

  • Fred Dietrich
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      Six of us ventured out in our kayaks with hopes of finally being able to navigate the paddle trail since the water level had come up at least 6 feet after Fay's rains. Unfortunately most of the trail on the east side of the levee was blocked by floating masses of vegetation. We were able to make it around the south side and might have made it to the Chaires landing, but were forced back by an afternoon thunder storm.

      As mentioned in the previous post, there were many cattle egrets on the lake and as we paddled by the concentration on the central dike, there were at least 100 active nests. Many of the adults were still sitting on the nests and others had large, still down covered, gray billed, babies testing their shaky legs. I didn't notice any gators prowling around, but it was windy, making it hard to see much in the water. Seems a little late for breeding, but this species has only been in this area for the last 50 years or so.

      With the high water levels and the wind I did not see any small birds on the lake. Did see the following:

      Boat tailed grackle
      Great blue heron
      Great egret
      Red-tailed hawk
      Purple gallinule
      Anhinga
      Turkey vulture
      Green heron
      White ibis
      Little blue heron
      American crow
      possible Sora, quickly ran into the reeds

      Fred Dietrich
      Tallahassee, Fl