Lake Lafayette Heritage Trail Park Sunday 8-31-08

  • markkiser9
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2008
      After years of drought it was interesting to see Lake Lafayette Heritage Trail Park inundated
      with water a week after TS Fay and 15+" of rain. All 7 of the fishing fingers were underwater
      or inaccessible. Water was over the dam (just barely) in two spots and egrets and herons
      were feeding on top of it. Anyway, not much exciting except for lots of wading birds.
      Probably more than 1000 cattle egrets on the central dike. Only managed to find one purple
      gallinule-few water lilies or lotus were available to walk on.

      There were 10 to 12 Eastern Kingbirds buzzing around like swallows.

      Happy trails,

      Mark and Selena Kiser
      Tallahassee
      batboxblues AT netscape.net
    • Fred Dietrich
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
        Six of us ventured out in our kayaks with hopes of finally being able to navigate the paddle trail since the water level had come up at least 6 feet after Fay's rains. Unfortunately most of the trail on the east side of the levee was blocked by floating masses of vegetation. We were able to make it around the south side and might have made it to the Chaires landing, but were forced back by an afternoon thunder storm.

        As mentioned in the previous post, there were many cattle egrets on the lake and as we paddled by the concentration on the central dike, there were at least 100 active nests. Many of the adults were still sitting on the nests and others had large, still down covered, gray billed, babies testing their shaky legs. I didn't notice any gators prowling around, but it was windy, making it hard to see much in the water. Seems a little late for breeding, but this species has only been in this area for the last 50 years or so.

        With the high water levels and the wind I did not see any small birds on the lake. Did see the following:

        Boat tailed grackle
        Great blue heron
        Great egret
        Red-tailed hawk
        Purple gallinule
        Anhinga
        Turkey vulture
        Green heron
        White ibis
        Little blue heron
        American crow
        possible Sora, quickly ran into the reeds

        Fred Dietrich
        Tallahassee, Fl