Carolina Wren Nest

  • carp4154
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 8:32 AM
      Hi Everyone,

      About 3 weeks ago we noticed this nest being built by a pair of
      Carolina Wrens. Then about one week ago there was no more activity
      and we were convinced that the nest had been abandoned or was just
      one of the extra ones that wrens build and don't use.

      After not having been in that part of the garage (it is in the back -
      a workshop area) for 3 days imagine our surprise today when my
      husband was not paying attention and the female flushed off of the
      nest.

      He ran in to tell me that we had eggs but he was not sure how many so
      I ran out with the camera while the mom to be was gone. We have a
      typical Carolina Wren clutch of 4 eggs.

      Now for my concern.

      The parents come in to the garage from up in the eaves. It is fairly
      high up. The nest is on top of some shelving and maybe 4 feet off of
      the floor. How in the world will the fledglings get out? Will they
      be able to fly that high? It seems doubtful. To leave through the
      main garage door they would have to find their way out of the shop
      and into the garage and then the length of the garage and on outside.

      I have posted pix of the nest on the group website and will add
      pictures as things develop. It should be around 2 weeks until
      hatching.

      Shelley
      Crawfordville, FL
    • Glenda Simmons
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16
        For the third year in a row, my wren pair appear to be getting a jump start on their 2015 nesting season.  I found their first completed nest, in my garage, today, after observing behavior, that they were scouting for a  location.  They may not use this nest until later, in the season, or not at all, but they are definitely starting. Last year they had five successful nesting attempts.

        Glenda Simmons
        Eastside Tallahassee